Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cross Stitched Pictures in a Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cross-stitched-pictures-quilt-t94866.html)

cjmat 01-31-2011 01:03 PM

I think that's a great idea. I have several pieces that I cross-stitched myself several years ago. They're a series of animals that I had intended to frame in groups of 3 (12 altogether). Now I'm thinking...maybe I could get them out of the closet and put them into a wall-quilt.

Nice idea...thanks!! :D

WendyMathews58 01-31-2011 01:37 PM

JNCT14, be sure to show your table topper when you finish it! I have a feeling it will be gorgeous.

Wendy

chickadeee55 01-31-2011 01:55 PM

DJ beautiful ideas and work.

I would worry about washing them, so wallhangins would be the way to go, maybe put a fusible backing on those squares to bond the threads from the stitches.

quiltingnana1 01-31-2011 02:52 PM

I have just started a cross-stitched quilt. I am not using previously cross stitched blocks. I am using waste cloth to stitch my patterns on cotton, then will incorporate my blocks into a quilt.

You completed those "blocks" as a labor of love. I wouldn't want to see them "gotten rid of." If framed, and you don't want them, perhaps they could be donated to a nursing home to brighten the room of a resident.... or if more appropriate... to a shelter for children/families.

Will be looking forward to answers as to how this quilt might hold up. :-)

wilmak 01-31-2011 10:29 PM

When my youngest son was in seminary, I xstitched 12 blocks. Since he was single, I used a variety of greens for the rest of the blocks. I paid someone to do the quilting for me. It turned out gorgeous.

kateyb 02-02-2011 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Grandmother
I recently finished a wall hanging using cross stitched pictures. They are beaded and are approximately 6 1/2 inches square. Because of the beading they are heavier than most cross stitched pictures. I wish that I had used fusible batting instead of regular batting. I agree with the suggestion of using fusible interfacing. I have included pictures of the wall hanging.

What beautiful cross stitch. It made a great quilt. Love it.

ccb2200 02-02-2011 08:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have made a quilt with Cross Stitch. Here is a picture.

JNCT14 02-02-2011 08:35 AM

I have never used anything but aida clth to do cross stitich. Do you have to use a printed pattern to do it on a regular cotton quilting material? Do you have to buy patterns or can you draft your own and if so, how?

ccb2200 02-02-2011 08:42 AM

The quilt I posted the cross stitch is done on aida. You just put the quilt together just like any other quilt.

Originally Posted by JNCT14
I have never used anything but aida clth to do cross stitich. Do you have to use a printed pattern to do it on a regular cotton quilting material? Do you have to buy patterns or can you draft your own and if so, how?

Fab-ra-holic 02-02-2011 08:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
Have you ever put a cross-stitched picture in your quilt.

I've got a bunch of cross stitched pictures I made and collected over the years.

Trying to decide what to do with them...options include, putting them in a quilt, framing them for a child's room, or getting rid of them.

The center of this quilt was cross-stitched onto a cotton fabric with the tear-away cloth for counted cross-stitch. It washed up very nicely.