Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting Strips Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-strips-help-t54456.html)

plainpat 07-14-2010 09:45 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm very new here, so hope this is right place to post.

Every so often I'll get a wonky elbow in strips I cut.Might cut 6
& 2-3 will be off kilter.Seems to happen no matter how I try to be careful
pressing & starching 1st.

DD loves a quilt pic from this site & want to make it for a Xmas or BD gift.
Looks to be a 4patch inside a frame,using Moda
jellyroll & border fabric.I was dreading cutting the strips & have yet to even choose fabric or find the pattern.

Someone mentioned a Accucut ,so looked into that.Just can't justify the price, as you need to buy extras for it.Then another poster talked about a June Taylor Creative Cut Ruler .Light bulb moment......do I have one of those in my bought & never used gadgets? Yes,I do & finally after at least 3-4 yrs,I opened it, read directions & bingo! I cut 2 strips that are perfectly straight.

Thanks so much to that poster! I'm cutting straight strips without buying another whatever.It's fast & easy.Better go see what else is in that never used box. Pat Ce

Ready to start
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77235[/ATTACH]

2 strips 2 1/2" wide
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77236[/ATTACH]

This is the one I have
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77237[/ATTACH]

gale 07-14-2010 09:48 AM

Those are great-I had one for years and never used it. I have recently but even still it's hard for me to get perfect strips (I have problems with both hands and one elbow) so I am planning to get the accuquilt thing-but I'll use my shape cutter too now that I've remembered I have it. How awesome that you found a solution using something you already had!

btw I get elbows with a regular ruler and cutter too. I resquare after about 2 or 3 cuts.

sweet 07-14-2010 09:49 AM

This is one of the best tools in quilting, in my opinion.

sharon b 07-14-2010 10:02 AM

I find that after a few cuts I need to realign the fabric, which may mean cutting off some more from the edge, to get a straight edge again. Does that make sense :? LOL

gale 07-14-2010 10:02 AM

I saw a video recently and they showed how to cut hexagons and diamonds easily. The tool is way more useful than I ever gave it credit for. (bad grammar, I know-sorry).

SuzanneTx 07-14-2010 10:05 AM

No quilt police and no grammar police. I wish I had one but if I bring in one more thing related to quilting, my husband may kill me. We are trying to save money and pay off credit cards.

bearisgray 07-14-2010 10:12 AM

I have re-align after cutting several strips, too.

Don't know how I get off-track, but I do.

JackieG 07-14-2010 10:28 AM

Thanks for sharing. And you even saved yourself $200-$300. I'll go out and find one now.

littlehud 07-14-2010 11:00 AM

I have to keep realigning my fabric or I get elbows too.

donnajean 07-14-2010 11:21 AM

For me, the trick is the position I am standing & holding with my left hand while I cut with my right. The ironing board is best as I can "stand" & adjust it so that I'm putting pressure "straigt down" with the left hand. The ruller is less likely to slip that way. Then, your are supposed to push the rotary cutter "away" from you. Sorry, I always cut toward myself.