Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Strips Help

Blog Entries
    I'm very new here, so hope this is right place to post.

Every so often I'll get a wonky elbow in strips I cut.Might cut 6
    & 2-3 will be off kilter.Seems to happen no matter how I try to be careful
    pressing & starching 1st.

DD loves a quilt pic from this site & want to make it for a Xmas or BD gift.
    Looks to be a 4patch inside a frame,using Moda
    jellyroll & border fabric.I was dreading cutting the strips & have yet to even choose fabric or find the pattern.

Someone mentioned a Accucut ,so looked into that.Just can't justify the price, as you need to buy extras for it.Then another poster talked about a June Taylor Creative Cut Ruler .Light bulb moment......do I have one of those in my bought & never used gadgets? Yes,I do & finally after at least 3-4 yrs,I opened it, read directions & bingo! I cut 2 strips that are perfectly straight.

Thanks so much to that poster! I'm cutting straight strips without buying another whatever.It's fast & easy.Better go see what else is in that never used box. Pat Ce

Ready to start
    Name:  Attachment-77230.jpe
Views: 41
Size:  54.1 KB

2 strips 2 1/2" wide
    Name:  Attachment-77231.jpe
Views: 36
Size:  33.0 KB

This is the one I have
    Name:  Attachment-77232.jpe
Views: 36
Size:  171.8 KB

Blog Entries
    Those are great-I had one for years and never used it. I have recently but even still it's hard for me to get perfect strips (I have problems with both hands and one elbow) so I am planning to get the accuquilt thing-but I'll use my shape cutter too now that I've remembered I have it. How awesome that you found a solution using something you already had!

btw I get elbows with a regular ruler and cutter too. I resquare after about 2 or 3 cuts.

This is one of the best tools in quilting, in my opinion.

Blog Entries
    I find that after a few cuts I need to realign the fabric, which may mean cutting off some more from the edge, to get a straight edge again. Does that make sense :? LOL

Blog Entries
    I saw a video recently and they showed how to cut hexagons and diamonds easily. The tool is way more useful than I ever gave it credit for. (bad grammar, I know-sorry).

No quilt police and no grammar police. I wish I had one but if I bring in one more thing related to quilting, my husband may kill me. We are trying to save money and pay off credit cards.

Power Poster
    I have re-align after cutting several strips, too.

Don't know how I get off-track, but I do.

Thanks for sharing. And you even saved yourself $200-$300. I'll go out and find one now.

I have to keep realigning my fabric or I get elbows too.

For me, the trick is the position I am standing & holding with my left hand while I cut with my right. The ironing board is best as I can "stand" & adjust it so that I'm putting pressure "straigt down" with the left hand. The ruller is less likely to slip that way. Then, your are supposed to push the rotary cutter "away" from you. Sorry, I always cut toward myself.

Blog Entries
    I'm happy I remembered having the JT ruler.Also wonder what took me
    so long? Have a box full of one block rulers, so hate to buy more.I'm looking for the pattern so to order & get started.Watch Joanns for a sale or coupon.40/50% off is a good thing.Pat Ce

Quote Originally Posted by JackieG
    Thanks for sharing. And you even saved yourself $200-$300. I'll go out and find one now.

I have one to an love it.

I have one also. Very handy ruler!

June Taylor Creative Cut Ruler is the best thing since sliced bread for multiple cuts.

I love to cut but there are a few "tricks" to cutting fabric accurately. Make sure to press and perhaps starch your fabric lightly before starting (some fabrics just seem to like to slip more than others). Place it on your board with the fold at the bottom and straight along the bottom line of your board. Then trim off the crooked bit on the left before you begin cutting strips. I use an O'Lipfa ruler with the lip edge that grips my board to discourage slipping. I also have the little rubbery stick on clear plastic circles on my ruller to further grip my fabric. Hold your ruler firmly with your left hand and move that hand up your ruler as you cut your strip. Lean your body a little as you cut away from you to try and stay "on top" of your strip. Try to hold your rotary cutter staight up and down and use a firm grip and pressure. I've seen a lot of inaccurate cuts because of holding your cutter at an angle and not gripping the cutter properly or using enough pressure. Always check your alignment of fabric every couple of strips to make sure it hasn't slipped. I'm always the "cutter" for our group and I hope these tips help.

I agree - realign after cutting several strips. It frustrates me how I can be so careful and be "off" by 1/8" or so after 3 or 4 cuts.

Personally, I cut my strips lengthwise with the grain and have a whole lot less "wonky" strips. I love my June Tailor Shape Cut.

I glued little bits of sandpaper I cut out with a paper punch to my rulers to help them from slipping. Helps alot.

Blog Entries
    I use the Shape Cut to square up blocks too. I will get wonky cuts every now and then using it to cut strips but it's better then a regular ruler. I do have the Go and it is worth every cent.

Come to think of it, I have one too. Guess I'd better go find it!! :)

Blog Entries
    LOL....funny how we can remember those things we
    had to have, once someone mentions them.My only tip is to start your cut in the wider spot at the beginning & cut to the end of the cutting line.
    Pat Ce
    Quote Originally Posted by countrymaid
    Come to think of it, I have one too. Guess I'd better go find it!! :)

I started to buy one of those today, and I didn't. I think I will go back and get it.

I have problems cutting strips,too, usually after the 2,3, or 4th one. I'm going to try some of the tips here.

Blog Entries
    There seems to be several methods to cutting strips...most
    of which I'd tried.Don't know why, but was lucky to get 1-2
    straight strips.....no matter how it was done.Maybe it's just me
    but was getting to where I dreaded cutting strips.
    So to get 1st 2 strips with no elbow bends was great.Hope you
    find what works for you & can use a coupon:-)
    Save your receipt & wrapping in case you need to return it.DH calls me the receipt queen....but he doesn't laugh when he needs a receipt. LOL Pat Ce

I haven't bought that ruler yet since I keep thinking that it looked too small to cut strips with... How many times do you have to fold the fabric?

Oh I love my June Tailor Short Cut ruler! I use it all the time. Be careful about picking it up by the corner though, I broke my first one this way. I think for the money this is one of the best tools on the market for quilters and crafters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast