Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Denim quilt -- need ideas! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/denim-quilt-need-ideas-t22813.html)

einahpets 07-15-2009 10:45 AM

Hi all --

I've been saving my daughter's jeans so that I can make her a denim quilt. So far I've got 2 big containers full of them. I'm sort of on the fence about the raggedy, frayed pieces... not sure if I like them or not.

I would really like some suggestions about beginner level patterns.
Also, her jeans aren't as tough as ours and I've thought about hand-sewing them. (especially because I'm better at that than I am at machine sewing!)

Suggestions about the backing would also be much appreciated! I've seen a lot of people use flannel, but is it possible to use other materials as well?

sunnyhope 07-15-2009 11:32 AM

if u end up with to much let me know,lol :mrgreen:

personally i like the raggy quilts, remember you can use other colours too aswell as the denim :wink: i m going to do that on a quilt sooner or later hehe

billswife99 07-15-2009 01:30 PM

Here is a link I have saved and want to do some day. I have 2 sacks of jeans so far. :roll:

http://www.straw.com/equilters/libra...gallbaros.html

Ducky 07-15-2009 02:17 PM

The very first quilt I made was denim. Since I didn't know anything about quilting, I just cut 6/12" blocks of different denims and regular blue fabric, then alternated them. I had all sorts of jeans: stone washed, dark blue, light blue, bleached look, and just plain old used look. My son still has it after 11 or 12 years and loves it. Thinking back, it was fun to make.

Be sure to post what you do!

Lacelady 07-15-2009 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think a jeans quilt is a great idea, I am getting my daughter to give me all theirs, and have a small bundle so far. When I first moved here in Ireland, I was driving down a main road and came across this character. I just had to back up and speak to him. It turned out that he was a Pilgrim, heading to one of our religious sites locally. He was from Pitsburgh and over a period of about 20 years, he had walked all over Europe, camping where he had to, visiting every site he could find along his way. He had made his complete outfit, all from old denim jeans. His bag held his sleeping bag, also made from jeans, and he wore hand knitted socks (his knitting) Amazing character.

The Pilgrim I stopped to talk to.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]39477[/ATTACH]

littlehud 07-15-2009 08:39 PM

Cool character.

earthwalker 07-15-2009 11:12 PM

I have two denim quilts "in progress" one fray edge and a highly experimental foundation pieced effort, using strip and crazy techniques. The fray edge will be backed with flannel and I am toying with the idea of using lightweight fleece as a middle to the sandwich...the other one is just "evolving" and I am thinking of using an assortment of "recycled" cotton fabrics for the back and tying the quilt using felted discs as a design element.

Just a couple of things I learned along the way....save the tops, you can make bags out of them....a couple of pockets cut out and put on the quilt are a good place for phones,games and other "treasures" to be stored...don't use overly worn or stained sections...don't use jeans containing elastane (it curls and is just not user friendly). Handsewing denim is really hard work, give machining a try and a denim needle is a must have...it really makes an easier job of it.

The Pilgrim photo is brilliant....I am in danger of becoming the female equivalent....the spiritual aspect being somewhat different...I am just a fervent hunter and collector of fabrics and recyclable treasures...No charity shop or car boot sale is safe from this woman's mission!

cutebuns 07-15-2009 11:35 PM

The quilt I am doing right now i originally saw in demin and flannel. it is done in strips and you can use scraps and end pieces for the back. Mine is fuzzy where the denim was. it is warn and cozy and has to be one of the easiest things on earth to do. no quilting required.

1rottendog 07-16-2009 05:41 AM

I backed my with flannel. I just cut the pieces in lengths and started sewing strips, then cut them to fit the size of his bed. I then added the pockets to the pieces wherever I wanted and my grandson uses them to keep the TV remote in them or whatever when he is wrapped up in it on the couch.

rndelling 07-17-2009 04:48 PM

My first quilt was like that for my oldest son's high school graduation. 20+ yrs ago. He still has it.
I just did about 4 inch squares. Backed it with a flat sheet and tied it.