Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Design Gurus! What looks good with ticking fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/design-gurus-what-looks-good-ticking-fabric-t209837.html)

tropit 01-01-2013 02:02 PM

Design Gurus! What looks good with ticking fabric?

OK...I couldn't resist. I'm in need of new bedding for a room/loft that we're building in our house. I was on Pottery Barn's site and I found a bed skirt and shams made out of charcoal and cream ticking fabric (as in old pillow covers)...cute! CHEAP! (50% off + another 15% off with coupon code.) So, now I want to make a quilt to go with these new items. I'm just about done making quilts for everyone else and it's my turn to make one just for us. Yeah!

So, my question is: What looks good with ticking fabric? I'm thinking tomato red, aquas, b&w checks, 30s looking stuff, a little denim, or chambrey. Any suggestions? Thanks for your input!

~ Cindy

Holice 01-01-2013 02:21 PM

all your suggestions look good except the 30's stuff. For me the red, aqua, b/w, checks denim chmbrey is more compatia ble than the 30's. altho some 30's colors would work. I would also tend to look at some of the newer arge prints especially the geometric shapes. I like to mix banana prints with the ticking for some of my crib quilts.

Jackie Spencer 01-01-2013 02:42 PM

If its a charcoal and cream, I think a brick red would look great. I have used ticking for binding cut on the bias and it looks good.

Jan in VA 01-01-2013 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Holice (Post 5755146)
I like to mix banana prints with the ticking....

Holice probably meant BAN DAN A prints, LOL!

irishrose 01-01-2013 03:21 PM

Large prints in bright colors would be my choice.

IrishNY 01-01-2013 03:28 PM

Thanks, Jan! I was trying to figure out if she meant fabric with bananas printed on it, or something else I didn't understand. Thank you for clarifying. lol

TanyaL 01-01-2013 03:40 PM

Charcoal and cream, grey and white, etc. are so basic, really neutral colors, that I would really consider the colors that are your personal favorites.I would personally put use shades of rose with it, but I know that is not current style - however, it is my favorite. Asking what will go with ticking is like asking what colors can you wear with blue jeans.Go with what you love.

barking-rabbit 01-01-2013 04:01 PM

I have a red ticking bed skirt and my quilt has a red and cream toile print. I made pillow cases with a rusty red fabric with the ticking as an accent.

Drue 01-01-2013 04:27 PM

I've seen some cute stuff with ticking using cherries or strawberries or bandana prints or most any sort of country prints in reds/dk. reds....Even seen some cute stuff with some old fashioned juvenile prints or railroad prints( trains/cabooses/etc)
LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING WHAT YOU COME UP WITH.
Hugs and Happy New Year

joyce888 01-01-2013 05:12 PM

I would say any plaid that is in gender neutral colors.