Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Different ways to attach quilt labels (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/different-ways-attach-quilt-labels-t173698.html)

Xtgirl 12-30-2011 05:49 AM

Different ways to attach quilt labels

Hi,

I have never attached a quilt label. Well I tried the other night using a blind stitch but it looked awful(got bunched up at the end) And i ended up taking it off. Can someone tell me different ways to put a quilt label on that looks decent. I'd love a no sew or machine sew version or a hand stitch that isn't time consuming&/hard as I have RA and it is hard on my hands.

Thanks!
Jen

QuiltingGrannie 12-30-2011 05:51 AM

Some make it a 'block' and add it as part of the backing. Some do the iron on applique, some just write on the quilt itself. I have done all of them. If you add it as part under the binding and then stitch the other two sides of it that works also and looks very nice.

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie

DixieLee 12-30-2011 05:56 AM

I agree with you - I am a lousy hand sewer and I usually write on thre back in marker. I think it kind of personalizes it and if I want to write a message live "Best Wishes" Happy Birthday or whatever I have all the space in the world to work with

ghostrider 12-30-2011 06:27 AM

Printed Treasures makes iron-on ink jet fabric sheets...available at JoAnn's among other places. You could easily print your label, iron it on before quilting and then the quilting would make it very secure.

GemState 12-30-2011 06:41 AM

Try putting the label and fusible interfacing right sides together and sew them 1/4 inch all around. Trim the corners a little, cut a slit in the interfacing and turn it so the label is right side out and the little bumps on the interfacing are on the back. You can then iron it to the place you want it. (Using a damp press cloth helps.) Then hand sew it to the quilt. I use either a blind stitch or blanket stitch.

KR 12-30-2011 06:48 AM

You could make a triangular label and stitich in into the binding on one corner. Fold a square of fabric in half and write or embroider your message. Baste it to one corner then add binding. You can blind/applique stitch the angled edge or not. If the quilt is for a child, he/she might think it's fun to have that corner pocket on the back.

gramajo 12-30-2011 06:52 AM

Most of my labels are printed on Printed Treasures. I can't hand sew due to my RA. I press the seam allowance under 1/4" & then use the machine to sew the label to the backing before quilting. Label is permanently secured to the quilt this way. Depending on how it is quilted, there may or may not be quilting going through the label.

sharon b 12-30-2011 07:12 AM

I have made the label- then used a dryer sheet sewed to the front - make a slit to turn right side out and machine sewed it down. The dyer sheet pulls the raw edges in - does that make sense ?

Val in IN 12-30-2011 07:59 AM

@ sharon b: I love the idea about using the used dryer sheets! I hate turning under the edges of the label before hand-stitching it down. Thank you so much for the great tip!

katybob 12-30-2011 09:20 AM

I machine-stitch my labels to the back before I put the sandwich together.