Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do any of you L/A or M/A folks co-own..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-any-you-l-m-folks-co-own-t113098.html)

susie0808 04-03-2011 09:20 AM

Co owning can be sticky like others has said. My dad and our neighbor bought a boat together. They didn't enjoy the boat enough together as they thought. My parents moved and the neighbor bought my dads share of the boat. Dad said he'd never do that again.

It may sound like a good thing but there are more negatives than positives. Just my thoughts.

DebbyT 04-03-2011 10:20 AM

My sister and I planned to purchase a quilter and frame together. The more I thought about it I decided I would pay the entire price since it was going to be at my house. She bought several accessories. She comes over to sew when she wants as long as I don't have a quilt loaded. She does not drive so I either pick her up or she gets a ride and stays a few days. We are planning another sleep over soon. She is finnishing tops quicker than she can get over to quilt them.--- You may concider purchasing it your self and keeping it at your friend's house until you can make room for it.

hperttula123 04-03-2011 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by borntoquilt
a quilting frame and machine? If so, who do you co-own with? friend? neighbor? How did you split finances. Did you write up a formal contract that is binding? I am curious as I want to approach a friend. She has more ROOM, less $$$ and I have more $$, less ROOM. Seems like a good combo. HOWEVER, I do NOT want to lose a good friend over a quilting frame/machine. Pro's or con's please !! Thanks!

I say go for it. You could write up a contract to save the both of you if anything were to happen. I share a long arm with a great friend and we have NEVER had any issues. I think it is a great idea!!!

pocoellie 04-03-2011 11:17 AM

I have to agree with most the board, I wouldn't do it. I think eventually it would lead to problems and potential loss of a friendship.

clynns 04-03-2011 11:24 AM

You must make sure that no matter whose house it is at that it is covered for replacement value on the homeowners insurance policy. I bought one with the help of two of my daughters. My oldest daughter gets the machine after I'm gone. (There is no interest from the other two girls.) My oldest daughter Jodi split the cost of thread when I bought the machine. If it's empty, it's fair game. I have a Gammill L/A and haven't had a problem with maintenance. Make sure you purchase the best surge protector that you can afford (mine was $40.00 on sale with a $200,000 guarentee - 8 outlet Belkin SurgeMaster). Above all, protect your equipment.

SweetSlumber 04-03-2011 02:01 PM

I agree with those who say 'go for it', especially if it's the only way either of you will be able to get a L/A or M/A. Maintain open and honest communication, what each of you consider 'deal-breakers', etc, be respectful of each other, and your joint adventure should be a fun one!