Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do any of you L/A or M/A folks co-own..... >

Do any of you L/A or M/A folks co-own.....

Do any of you L/A or M/A folks co-own.....

Old 04-03-2011, 07:27 AM

a quilting frame and machine? If so, who do you co-own with? friend? neighbor? How did you split finances. Did you write up a formal contract that is binding? I am curious as I want to approach a friend. She has more ROOM, less $$$ and I have more $$, less ROOM. Seems like a good combo. HOWEVER, I do NOT want to lose a good friend over a quilting frame/machine. Pro's or con's please !! Thanks!
Old 04-03-2011, 07:33 AM

I guess the first question I would want to know how available will it be for you. Will you be able to use it at your convenience??
Old 04-03-2011, 07:35 AM

i would never buy a joint machine.

in my eyes it would just complicate things in a friendship and i'm the type of person that can be pushed around just to avoid a sticky situation.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i would never buy a joint machine.

in my eyes it would just complicate things in a friendship and i'm the type of person that can be pushed around just to avoid a sticky situation.
I would never buy a joint 'anything'. Money and friends do not mix. It might work for a while. I wouldn't take the chance. I'm not a gambler.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:13 AM

Can you convert your garage or build a small storage area on your property? Can you expand a spce you already have? That would be better than mixing freindship with a business relationship. It is true...they don't mix. Good Luck
Old 04-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

I have heard of some people sharing a LA with a sister, or other relative. I think that's a special circumstance, because they're already used to sharing and working out differences within the family. Sharing with a friend or neighbor would be a different thing.

HOWEVER... all things are possible, if you both approach it with the right attitude and you both want it badly enough. I think a comprehensive contractual agreement is a must. It would need to cover all sorts of things, like what happens if one party moves, or has to sell her interest due to family emergency, illness, etc. Personally, I would not consider doing this, but that does not mean it would not work for someone else. Before you do it, think of everything that could go wrong and how you could account for that in your contract. And good luck!
Old 04-03-2011, 08:20 AM

Thanks all! You have confirmed what I was thinking all long! Just wanted some support to know if I was on the right track! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!
Old 04-03-2011, 08:23 AM

If she had an outbuilding that you could use (like having your own key for) that would be ideal. If the machine would be stored in her home, I wouldn't feel comfortable using it whenever I wanted or late at night etc.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:26 AM

I co-own a Gammill Classic Plus long arm with 3 of my sisters (oops with 2 sisters, one has passed away). We split the cost of the machine equally and we each buy thread and patterns etc on our own but everyone is allowed to use whatever ... we do not have a written agreement.

We do get together once a week for quilting so we know what each other is working on and when each will need the machine. We try to take turns but if one of us needs the machine out of turn we just ask if we can use it ... we haven't had any problems in 5 years.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:55 AM

my DD and I share and its at my house...she buys all the pre-wound bobbins and alot of the thread. we use it alot. of course she would dare yell at her mother LOL