Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do quilt shows inspire you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-quilt-shows-inspire-you-t181231.html)

jaciqltznok 03-01-2012 06:47 AM

Do quilt shows inspire you?

OR do they just empty your bank account and leave you buyer's remorse?
Do they get your creative juices flowing, or leave you thinking it is time to take up scrap booking instead?

One of my all time FAVORITE shows is coming up..the Dallas quilt guild show! I make the trek down there each (for the last 5) and visit with my vendor buds, friends from the guild/area, soak up all the talent, creativity I can for 3 days, and then trek back home feeling uninspired, drained, and wondering WHY I go every year!
SO, this year I have not been nearly as excited to spend all the money it is going to take to go to the show. The vendors are all the same ones I just saw in OKcity in Jan, I don't think they offer any classes! THe only thing I have to really look forward to is seeing my sister and my friends.

Will I go? Still not sure. WE are planning on leaving Wed so need to get my ducks in a row. I just hope I can find something to spark my QUILTING creativity this year!

TanyaL 03-01-2012 07:02 AM

Why don't you try the Ft Worth show instead? The lectures at Dallas don't look very good this year.

joyce888 03-01-2012 07:10 AM

I do enjoy going but only if the show is local. I don't want to spend big bucks just getting there.

jaciqltznok 03-01-2012 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888 (Post 5021512)
I do enjoy going but only if the show is local. I don't want to spend big bucks just getting there.

sadly there are NO local shows up here. The very least would be an hour drive, but most are 2-3 hours away!

Tartan 03-01-2012 07:32 AM

The last quilt show I went to I decided to invest in my Bernina 440. It was a major hit to the wallet but I'm glad I've got it. I wish I could attend some of the bigger US shows but can't spare the money just to get there. You can go to visit your friends and just window shop at the show. Yeah, right as if that will ever happen. You know you'll end up finding something you have to buy.

jaciqltznok 03-01-2012 07:36 AM

I have had NO job in over a year, so I have no money to spend. Just getting there is going to break my savings!
BUT, my little sister has her heart set on my being there! As does my Auntie! I would rather stay home and work in the greenhouse!:thumbup:
As for buying..not me...I have more than 10 people could use! STill have a huge leftover inventory from when I closed my online shop 2 years ago! So, no, don't really buy anything...UNLESS my bud Brian from Sew Batiks has an interesting assortment of scrap bags again....sigh!

Hinterland 03-01-2012 07:40 AM

I enjoy the local shows because I meet my friends, and I've enjoyed every show I've travelled to because I had the chance to see different quilts and different vendors than I see locally. Granted, I don't go to a lot of shows, and only travel to shows every couple of years.

The shows do make me want to go home and quilt more, but that's pretty much what I want to do anyway. :)

Janet

GrannieAnnie 03-01-2012 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok (Post 5021402)
OR do they just empty your bank account and leave you buyer's remorse?
Do they get your creative juices flowing, or leave you thinking it is time to take up scrap booking instead?

One of my all time FAVORITE shows is coming up..the Dallas quilt guild show! I make the trek down there each (for the last 5) and visit with my vendor buds, friends from the guild/area, soak up all the talent, creativity I can for 3 days, and then trek back home feeling uninspired, drained, and wondering WHY I go every year!
SO, this year I have not been nearly as excited to spend all the money it is going to take to go to the show. The vendors are all the same ones I just saw in OKcity in Jan, I don't think they offer any classes! THe only thing I have to really look forward to is seeing my sister and my friends.

Will I go? Still not sure. WE are planning on leaving Wed so need to get my ducks in a row. I just hope I can find something to spark my QUILTING creativity this year!

Most quilts at quilt shows are far more complex than my abilities can handle. Do I like to see the quilts? You bet!

Lori S 03-01-2012 07:55 AM

It sounds like this is the year , you should skip it. I do find inspiration from shows but I am typically very anxious to go. If you are running low on anticipation , I think that part of your brain may be telling you something.

TanyaL 03-01-2012 08:05 AM

Save your money now, car pool to the Houston show with some friends, share a hotel room. Much better bang for your buck.