Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   do you bind by machine or by hand? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-bind-machine-hand-t83885.html)

katesnanna 12-20-2010 04:16 PM

Always finish by hand. I use hand quilting thread which is stronger. If I use sewing cotton I'll use double threads. I have finished one by machine but it involved piping. Sewed it onto the back then brought it to the front and stitched in the ditch beside the piping. It turned out very well and I was pleased with it which is a major achievement as I'm my own worst critic.

mmlctnp 12-20-2010 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by nana pat
Oh my, what to share...Two weeks ago I tried sewing the back by machine, after machine stitching the front, and It took me several hours to rip it. I am still having nightmares over how awful it looked and,oh my, the wrinkles that appeared on the front. I create on my 1936 FW so, of course there are no fancy stitches. I love hand stitching the back even tho I drop the needle a lot because I dont feel it so well anymore. Any way is correct though, just do what YOU prefer. Merry Christmas :lol:

What is a FW?

Treasureit 12-20-2010 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by tutty
I put my bindings on by machine and then handstitch but I would like to learn how to completely machine stitch front and back without the stitch showing through on the front, I've seen it look that way but my tests have not worked out so......

I machine stitch both sides. I put the binding on the back first the fold it over and stitch on the front....you have neat stitches on the front and then if I am not perfect on the back I don't care as much.

Treasureit 12-20-2010 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by mmlctnp

Originally Posted by nana pat
Oh my, what to share...Two weeks ago I tried sewing the back by machine, after machine stitching the front, and It took me several hours to rip it. I am still having nightmares over how awful it looked and,oh my, the wrinkles that appeared on the front. I create on my 1936 FW so, of course there are no fancy stitches. I love hand stitching the back even tho I drop the needle a lot because I dont feel it so well anymore. Any way is correct though, just do what YOU prefer. Merry Christmas :lol:

What is a FW?

FW - feather weight machine

k9dancer 12-20-2010 04:30 PM

Combo of both. I use a double binding sewn on by machine, flipped to the other side & finished by hand.

Tudey 12-20-2010 04:44 PM

I put the binding strips on by machine, but I prefer to finish the, by hand---it's the only hand work I do.

DonnaB 12-20-2010 04:56 PM

I do all my binding by hand, it's relaxing for me, and I can watch TV while doing it. Besides I know that I'm real close to finally finish the quilt that I probably have been working on for six months.

sewingsuz 12-20-2010 04:59 PM

I use the machine for all my binding. It looks great and won't ever come apart.

kakels 12-20-2010 05:23 PM

Why does the lady in the youtube video wear gloves? I've seen that on some videos and wonder why

JAGSD 12-20-2010 05:55 PM

I sew the binding on the front my machine and then hand stitch to the back also. I tried machine doing both and did not like the turn out.