Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which do you like better, Moda Bella or Kona Cotton? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-like-better-moda-bella-kona-cotton-t179726.html)

jaciqltznok 02-19-2012 06:07 AM

I am a Kona lover. Have checked out the Moda Bella and I am NOT a fan of it.

I also like Benartex solids!

and back in the day the Michael Miller "JET" black & brown were the BEST to have! Down to my last 8 yds of MM Jet black. I use for discharging mostly!

celwood 02-19-2012 06:09 AM

I used to be an avid Kona Cotton user. Since Moda put out the Bella solids I have switched because the Bella seem to be a little softer to the touch. I bought the sampler so now I can use it to match to my prints.

celwood 02-19-2012 06:11 AM

I used to use Kona Cotton but since Moda put out the Bella solids I have switched. I find that the Moda Bella are softer to touch.

GailG 02-19-2012 06:12 AM

I recently did a tee shirt quilt and used Kona cottons for the sashings. ( a med. blue and a bright red) Really frayed a lot. I actually used a 3/8 in. seam to allow for trimming. But I love the feel of cutting and sewing with this fabric. I've used the black a couple of years ago and don't remember it fraying as much. And it seemed heavier. It, too, was Kona cotton.

karenpatrick 02-19-2012 06:15 AM

Moda is my favorite anything.

Elaine433 02-19-2012 06:18 AM

I have always used the Kona solids because I can buy it locally. I have found that the weave is looser than I would like and that it ravels. That said, I recently ordered some of Moda Bella. I just received it and have not used it yet so cannot really do a comparision. I have heard that matching up the same color is easier with the Bella. I will have to wait until I try the Bella to really decide which I like better.

fairydawn 02-19-2012 06:44 AM

Love the Moda Bella, they co-ordinate so well with all the Moda lines.

janeknapp 02-19-2012 07:00 AM

If anyone is looking for a black-black in a tighter weave like batiks, try Kona Bay. I like it with the tighter weave which does not attract lint like the Kona black.

Judi in Ohio 02-19-2012 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics (Post 4983541)
Or is your favorite solid a different brand?

Please share with us which solid you like best, and why.

I adore Moda Bella, not so much Kona.
I've been stuck when looking for a solid because I don't like Kona. The colors I needed where always so thin and the weave so rough.
I found Moda Bella at a quilt show and I have many of the colors. There seems to be enough color choice for whatever you need. Maybe not quite as many colors as Kona, but they have a bunch. I love the hand and it's sewability (My computer is reminding me that I just made up that word). I make lots of pillowcases and this stuff is the bomb for that and a reasonable price, If you buy it at Hancock's Paducah they discount it when you buy multi yards.

SunlitenSmiles 02-19-2012 08:32 AM

Northcott Colorworks for me as I do not like the feel of Kona or the fraying of Moda.
actually Moda fabrics remind me of the 4 yd. for a dollar fabrics my mother gave me to sew doll clothes with when I was in grade school. As you can see in my avatar, despite fraying, I do sew with Michael Miller 'Crystal' love that purple! That quilt is actually finished now will have to update the photo.