Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you prefer to sew with a group or alone? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-prefer-sew-group-alone-t202008.html)

Chasing Hawk 10-01-2012 08:11 AM

I sew alone, with nobody else.

SouthPStitches 10-01-2012 08:14 AM

Point well taken Peggi! We should never have to apologize for taking a little time for ourselves, even if it's only 30 minutes a day.

I worked with the general public almost my entire career. Although I enjoy the company of others, I am truly a lone wolf when it comes to sewing. I need the peace and quiet to truly concentrate on the project at hand.

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 5554150)
Because these things will ALWAYS need to be done, and I need to take care of ME too, not just my family and my home. Cooking and cleaning can be put off a day or two, and my kids have another parent (Dad) who can transport them.

One of the things we need to remember as wives and mothers is we are human, not superhuman. To better serve our families, we need to nurture ourselves just as we nurture them. If that nurturing takes form in a quilt retreat once a year, then I don't have ANY problem in justifying it. I don't feel guilty; I feel energized and reinvigorated, which helps me to get back to my daily routine with enthusiasm.

Toni C 10-01-2012 08:15 AM

I love the idea of a group but I have a tendency to sew alone.I joined a guild but hardly go there anymore. They didn't do any sewing and just talked at you about what you should do for them. Maybe that's what they do, I don't know.They had a trunk show which I liked. Just realized I found myself doing other things instead of going.

patski 10-01-2012 08:15 AM

I like sewing alone or with 1 or 2 others, more than that and all we do is yak!

DebraK 10-01-2012 08:17 AM

that sums it up for me.

Peckish 10-01-2012 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk (Post 5554236)
I sew alone, with nobody else.

Lol you know when I sew alone, I prefer to be by myself!

(George Thorogood)

Panchita 10-01-2012 08:23 AM

Whilst I love the *idea* of belonging to a quilting group, in reality I would get absolutely nothing done. And that nothing would be wrong and need unpicking. LOL I am far too easily distracted. I can't shop with company either.

I have never fancied the idea of doing a class. I have a problem with being told what to do - won't follow patterns, want to tweak things as I want them...

So I guess from that point of view I am an anti-social quilter, although I can talk quilting and admire the work of others until the cows come home!!

I'm also firmly of the view that if he gets 'him-time' then I should get 'me-time'!!!

Ann63 10-01-2012 08:26 AM

I love this board!!! You are all wonderful.

sylviak 10-01-2012 08:42 AM

I don't usually even have music. I have a radio in the shed and a few CD's for my laptop, but seldom use them. I have always concentrated better when things were quiet. When I was in college years ago a lot of the girls had to have something to listen to while studying and I never could understand that, because I would end up listening to the music instead of studying. We have a hometown retreat once a month and get together on a Saturday and sew and have lunch together. I love to go and talk and be inspired by other projects, but like others, I take the "mindless" chores to do.

I try to plan my quilting around household and farm chores. I don't feel guilty taking the time if I know I've allotted time for the housework. I try to spend evenings with my DH. I don't let my dog into the shed, either. She's a Sheltie, and would demand my attention. We both play with her in the evening....and she looks forward to that time. She has a large pen and LOVES being outside where she can bark at the cows and warn us if anyone pulls into the driveway. DH takes her out in the pasture with him when he checks the cattle each day.

We built the shed when I retired. I worked for 30 years and have looked forward to the time when I could spend time quilting. So I certainly don't feel guilty about making good use of it....and DH agrees!

quiltsRfun 10-01-2012 08:54 AM

I sew alone. Just me, the TV and my dogs.