Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you tilt your machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-tilt-your-machine-t146977.html)

spartan quilter 08-22-2011 07:03 AM

I read just recently about a gal setting her machine into a desk, and one of the suggestions a board member gave, was
to tilt the machine, which makes it easier to see the needle and sewing area. So, when I sat down to sew this morning, I thought about that, got some small blocks, probably about 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep, set them under the back of my machine, and WOW, it does make a difference.

So, I have just gotten another great tip from a member of this board and wondered how many others are doing this.

Lacelady 08-22-2011 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by spartan quilter
I read just recently about a gal setting her machine into a desk, and one of the suggestions a board member gave, was
to tilt the machine, which makes it easier to see the needle and sewing area. So, when I sat down to sew this morning, I thought about that, got some small blocks, probably about 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep, set them under the back of my machine, and WOW, it does make a difference.

So, I have just gotten another great tip from a member of this board and wondered how many others are doing this.

No, I don't tilt mine, my machine is set down level in the top of a cabinet.

jackie o. 08-22-2011 07:05 AM

I always try to remember to tilt my machine also. I use the inexpensive rubber door stops that you can buy almost anywhere. I like them because they "grip" the machine, and you can easily adjust the angle of the tilt. Hope that's helpful.

amma 08-22-2011 07:07 AM

I like the tilting for piecing, but prefer the machine flat for quilting :D:D:D

quiltmouse 08-22-2011 07:08 AM

someone here sells "sewing machine lifters" which is a little slant table to set on your work surface. (might be DebbieUmp...)

I bought 2 rubber doorstops at walmart.

spartan quilter 08-22-2011 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by jackie o.
I always try to remember to tilt my machine also. I use the inexpensive rubber door stops that you can buy almost anywhere. I like them because they "grip" the machine, and you can easily adjust the angle of the tilt. Hope that's helpful.

That is a good idea, WM, here I come.

grammiepamie 08-22-2011 07:10 AM

Yes, I tilt my machine. I have a really bad back and another board member was was discussing how tilting can relieve stress on your body. I bought one from another member and I love it. I can sit at my machine now for much longer amounts of time.

sewsincere 08-22-2011 07:25 AM

Several years ago, my husband took some blocks and drilled large enough hold about 1 inch deep into each block. I put the back legs of my machine into the blocks, so my machine is tilted. Saves on my already bad neck and back. Because he drilled the holes, my machine table will stay put.

bjeriann 08-22-2011 07:33 AM

I put a 1x3 piece of wood under the back of my machine. It likes to slide as I sew. I'm going to try the door stops. Great idea, thanks. Have you priced the clear plastic ones they sell? They are around $70 last time I looked.

Lostn51 08-22-2011 07:34 AM

This is why Singer made the Slant Shank machines so it would be easier for you to see your work as you were using the machine. A pretty neat idea but I think they phased it out after 20 years or so.

Billy