Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you use batting in your table runners/toppers? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-use-batting-your-table-runners-toppers-t81602.html)

Tussymussy 12-09-2010 05:10 AM

I was making a Christmas Tree Skirt and the instructions suggested using felt as this gave a lovely feel to the finished item. As felt on the roll is prohibitively expensive here, I bought some white fleece.

It is an absolute joy to use and the skirt did not need to be quilted at all as a result. i would certainly use this for table runners in future and probably would not use any backing fabric either.

ssnare 12-09-2010 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by grma33
After buying a runner kit at Novi and inside was iron interfacing I now use this and love it.
Gale

I love your table runner.

May in Jersey 12-09-2010 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
I always did but recently found a few patterns that don't. Store bought ones don't have batting so I'm thinking I could skip that step. What do you do? May in Jersey

Thanks gals for the input. I don't have any flannel or thin poly batting handy so I'll use a double thickness of the backing fabric for the topper that needs to be mailed this weekend. Have 2 more toppers in the works so I'll see if I can get some white/light flannel and/or thin batting at Joann's later today. May in Jersey

Lori S 12-09-2010 06:39 AM

I use warm and natural but preshrink it for use in table runners. I have used poly felt , and fussible fleece. The fusible fleece just got too pricey. The poly felt works great but I do not always have it on hand.

chris_quilts 12-09-2010 11:21 AM

I usually use the bamboo batting. It is expensive but works up nicely. Had not considered fleece. Cheaper than bamboo batt so will try it with my next tablerunner. I use batting for some body in the runner. Makes it look nicer.

miss_ticky2 12-09-2010 12:43 PM

I've just made one...I used insulbrite so it gives a bit of protection (I hope) for the table if it's used for hot dishes

dewie45 12-10-2010 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
I've just made one...I used insulbrite so it gives a bit of protection (I hope) for the table if it's used for hot dishes

Nice idea.

Yarn or Fabric 12-10-2010 04:28 AM

I like to use thin fleece (on the bolt in the batting area) and flannel.. however flannel always seems more expensive than the thin fleece.
I have also used the thick muslin for batting as well.

Having said that, I'm not fond of high loft quilts at all so I try to go as thin as I can.
I don't go without as you can see through them if you don't and I don't like to see the backing on the front - especially for table runners and place mats as I try to make them double sided for double duty ;)

Sewlmatesister 12-10-2010 05:13 AM

My friends and I use Thermore, it so soft and hand quilts like butter!

Karyn 12-10-2010 05:18 AM

The last tablerunners that I made, I put a poly batting in them, it was too thick for my liking but all that I had on hand at the moment. I have plenty of flannel on hand and will make sure to use that next time. I like just a little weight to the runners.