Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone here quilt Queens and Kings on their little machines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-here-quilt-queens-kings-their-little-machines-t211243.html)

charsuewilson 01-19-2013 03:04 PM

I've done both king and queen, mostly with stitch in the ditch. I'm looking for methods to do smaller portions. I've looked at Cotton Theory quilting, and some others, but haven't quite figured them out yet.

brenwalt 01-19-2013 03:39 PM

Oh yes, I wouldn't think of sending them out !! Have done three king size (120 x 110) and 115 x 110 and 115 x 110, also several queen size. I purchased two 2 x 4 ft adjustable height tables to set up next to my machine for support. They work great and I move them wherever I need them. Am getting into more complicated patterns now (via Leah Day) and again, - wouldn't even think of sending a quilt out.....Good luck, and most importantly: Have Fun!!

sewnut 01-19-2013 03:51 PM

I quilt big quilts on my small home machine because I can't afford a laq, I start in the middle and do one quarter at a time. and move around the inner portion of the quilt, then do the borders last. I pin every 3 to 4 inches tho to hold it together better as I haven't figured out in my old head how glue basting could work and keep holding together.

Lucy90 01-19-2013 08:19 PM

I do it all the time. I have done both queen & king on my little machine. I want to some day get the Pfaff that has a longer throat. It is hard at times and it takes some manuvering but it can be done

Milli 01-19-2013 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5793657)
My next big quilt I do, I will the 2 halves and then join them. I will quilt both halves leaving 2 inches unquilted down the center on both halves. I will then join the 2 top sections down the middle by machine. I with trim the batting to meet down the center of the quilt and iron on batting join tape. I will then iron one side of the back fabric over the join and overlap the second piece of the back. I will pin it and ladder stitch the back seam. If everything looks perfect, I will quilt the last 4 inch section down the center of the quilt.

what is batting join tape?

MartiMorga 01-20-2013 08:42 AM

I am not an experienced quilter, but I have taken classes to learn piecing, etc. All the classes have been QAYG! The quilts are much heavier than a normal quilt and there are a lot of "extra" steps. Not as easy as they would like you to believe. I, of course, being nieve, thought I could make queens for my beds. Well, one is almost done and I think I have unsewn more than I've sewn. The weight is very difficult when connecting rows to rows, etc. I suggest QAYG for bed runners, table runners, small lap quilts, but not anything of substance.

MamaYitu 01-20-2013 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by happyquiltmom (Post 5793914)
I've done a queen size on my vintage Bernina 830 Record, all in one piece, too. Didn't have any trouble with it, but it did take several days.

I did one this fall on my 830. But it wasn't easy--and I was exhausted from folding, rolling and turning. I did SID--maybe if I had done FM it would have been easier.

bigsister63 01-20-2013 04:18 PM

I am FMQ on a 100x100 on my Brothers1500s. I do a section at a time and it is not easy buy I can not afford to send my quilts to a LAQ. Also I s0pray baste my quilts instead of pinning. That makes it lighter and easier to "push" thru the throat. Pinning your quilt really adds to the weight of the quilt and makes it harder to "push" thru the opening.

quiltingnd 01-20-2013 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 (Post 5800724)
I am FMQ on a 100x100 on my Brothers1500s. I do a section at a time and it is not easy buy I can not afford to send my quilts to a LAQ. Also I s0pray baste my quilts instead of pinning. That makes it lighter and easier to "push" thru the throat. Pinning your quilt really adds to the weight of the quilt and makes it harder to "push" thru the opening.

I have spray basted my last two quilts. Both ended up with puckers in the backing fabric. How do you keep that from happening when using the basting spray. I assumed they were there because I moved the quilt around too much.

Pepita 01-21-2013 12:34 AM

My last quilt that I quilted was a queen/king. I dreaded it, but I put it in my dining room on the table. because I could support the weight of the quilt by arranging it behind and to the left side, it wasn't really a problem. I also did something a bit different this time, I drew out the blocks and came up with quilting motifs for each different block, and border. I think, and my family thought it was my best quilt yet.