Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   does anyone know what this mean? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-know-what-mean-t217205.html)

Holice 03-25-2013 06:19 AM

Write the designer and ask what it means

BellaBoo 03-25-2013 08:11 AM

I've seen that in a quilt pattern. It meant Cut__ inches Off the Length of one of the strips that were cut.

winia 03-25-2013 08:19 AM

It probably means some words that are so difficult to spell and take such a long time to type that they have to be abbreviated. As far as I'm concerned, it's nothing but pure laziness.

mooshie 03-25-2013 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal (Post 5952691)
I'm with you nativetexan.
Sure gets challenging to learn what all these letters mean.
Guess spelling it out is = NLAO = no longer an option. :D

LOL! Clever.

twinkie 03-26-2013 03:09 AM

Let us know if you find out. Good Luck

solstice3 03-26-2013 03:16 AM

Contact the seller/designer. They need to know that their technical directions are not easy to understand. Technical writers often assume we are familiar with all "slang"

needlefruit 03-26-2013 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 5950923)
more abbreviations? I'm beginning to hate them. i'd contact the pattern maker!!!

I'm with you, Nativetexan! Whatever happened to the 3 Cs (clear, concise, correct) of communication---especially in any kind of directions.

Gerbie 03-26-2013 04:51 AM

I'm sorry I can't help you out, I have no idea what that means. I hate abbrevations on patterns like that, I think too many people including designers are just getting LAZY, they are so engrossed in the texting, twittering and all, that they think everyone else does this. I do neither, and hate for people to use abbreviations when they could just as easily print the meaning out or orally say it. This high tech world we now live in is truly ruining our children in school. I am a retired First Grade teacher and retired in 2004. A few years before retirement, our brilliant state legislators and educators decided that Handwriting and Spelling were no long necessary as part of the curriculum, how sad. When tutoring after retirement, many of my 4th and 5th grade students did not even know how to write their name or write anything else. They could print whatever they wanted, but could not write it in cursive handwriting. So many could not spell anything either. I suppose Math and Reading will be next. Sorry will not step down from my "Soap Box."

HillCountryGal 03-26-2013 05:00 AM

Gerbie, I feel the same way. Also, listening to the slang words our local tv personalities use causes me to talk to the television! :o

BellaBoo 03-26-2013 05:07 AM

I use to volunteer in the local public school and saw first hand the kids were taught pass the benchmark tests not that they understood what they were taught. These same kids are graduating and guess what, become the educators that make the education rules.