Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone speak French ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-speak-french-t122701.html)

Little RoO 05-12-2011 11:36 PM

Hi...this is a really big favour to ask..... I live in the UK and back in 2009 whilst on holiday in Europe I bought a magazine called Quilt Mania Hors-Serle Enfants 2009.....because it had two beautiful childrens applique quilt in it that I would love to make.
The only problem is,it is a french publication and therefore all the instructions are in french.
I know a very small amount from being taught many years ago in school and I have tried with dictionaries etc but cannot translate it.
Would anyone be kind enough to translate the instructions for me, the instructions are very short, just a couple of paragraphs really.......I would be more than happy to pay or send fabric if preferred as I know this is a big favour to ask...thank you

k3n 05-13-2011 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Little RoO
Hi...this is a really big favour to ask..... I live in the UK and back in 2009 whilst on holiday in Europe I bought a magazine called Quilt Mania Hors-Serle Enfants 2009.....because it had two beautiful childrens applique quilt in it that I would love to make.
The only problem is,it is a french publication and therefore all the instructions are in french.
I know a very small amount from being taught many years ago in school and I have tried with dictionaries etc but cannot translate it.
Would anyone be kind enough to translate the instructions for me, the instructions are very short, just a couple of paragraphs really.......I would be more than happy to pay or send fabric if preferred as I know this is a big favour to ask...thank you

I lived in France for 6 years and am fairly fluent... I also used to subscribe to Quiltmania so I've possibly got the edition you refer to. I'll gladly translate the instructions for you - and you're only up the road from me in 'Brizzle'! :mrgreen: :-D

EDIT: Just been through all my magazines and although I have two Hors Series from 2009, I don't have (or can't find!) the children's one but if you can scan and email me the text, I can translate it no probs! :-D

Little RoO 05-13-2011 01:35 AM

Thank you so much....really appreciate your help...and being so local....this site is amazing...I will PM you my number could you call me.

tealfalcon 05-13-2011 03:00 AM

You also could put it in Google translator and that should work

jpmaroni 05-13-2011 03:10 AM

Basics work in Google translator. I speak french fluently and needed help with spelling. After entering words into google translation the results were total opposite of what I meant to say! Could have been most embarrassing! since you have someone that can translate, it's the safest and best route...

tealfalcon 05-13-2011 03:14 AM

Oh I do agree its not the best

Little RoO 05-13-2011 04:43 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied.....I have now found someone who will translate it for me.....cannot believe the kindness of everyone....have had this book 2 years trying to translate it......mention it on the board and within an hour have offers of help......thanks again

QuiltE 05-13-2011 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by tealfalcon
You also could put it in Google translator and that should work

It's very risque to use online translators (not just google)at the best of times. I sure wouldn't go there for something such as this!

Little Roo and K3n ... great that you have connected and to think, both Brits! :)

huntannette 05-13-2011 06:37 AM

if you need help with anything...i can help...i am french and was a teacher...in case you are stuck with words...wouldn`t mind helping!

QuiltE 05-13-2011 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by huntannette
if you need help with anything...i can help...i am french and was a teacher...in case you are stuck with words...wouldn`t mind helping!

......... more important is that You Speak Quilt!!!!!!! :)

~~~~
waves to HuntAnnette from Southern Ontario!
~~~~