Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   does it matter which way backing goes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-matter-way-backing-goes-t163047.html)

hsquiltingmom 10-25-2011 04:15 AM

Hi everyone,

I am making a whole cloth quilt for my daughter. The top is Tricot (a nylon fabric that slips are made of). The width of this fabric is 108". I asked at the LQS, and the longarmer told me it didn't matter which way the width went. The quilt is going to be a twin size, just extra long, which is what my daughter wants. The backing is also 108" wide. I was able to get 2 yards of tricot and wondered if it matters on the backing which way it goes. Do I have to put the 108" width, which means I have to cut off extra on the sides, or can I make the width the length?

Thanks
hsquiltingmom

NDQuilts 10-25-2011 04:19 AM

I am careful of grain only on quilts that will be hung ( to prevent sagging), but for a bed quilt, just do what works.

qbquilts 10-25-2011 04:22 AM

I've done the backing both ways, depending on which way gave me the most economical use of my fabric and $$$. However, I've never used any type of nylon in my quilts, so I don't know if that will make a difference.

leatheflea 10-25-2011 04:39 AM

Interesting topic, I never new about this. Learn something new every day on the QB!

Raggiemom 10-25-2011 04:41 AM

I usually put the backing on whichever way works so I have to cut it the least. I don't know if the nylon would make any difference or not as I haven't worked with it.

hsquiltingmom 10-25-2011 05:21 AM

Thanks for your responses. I like to be able to use fabric in the most economical way as well. As for the tricot (nylon) it really does not make a difference. Yay. I can get it backed today and start quilting.

dkabasketlady 10-25-2011 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom
I usually put the backing on whichever way works so I have to cut it the least. I don't know if the nylon would make any difference or not as I haven't worked with it.

Same for me, I try to save the $$$.

BKrenning 10-25-2011 06:56 AM

I don't think it matters which way the backing goes, either. My only concern would be how it's going to be quilted. If by hand, does a needle go through it easily? If by machine, is the needle going to cause the fabric to develop runs? I haven't figured out how others can use some of the blended fabrics without the runs. I'll be curious to see your results. Why did you choose tricot fabric?

QuiltnNan 10-25-2011 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady

Originally Posted by Raggiemom

Same for me, I try to save the $$$.

ditto here

ghostrider 10-25-2011 08:21 AM

Even on bed quilts I make sure the backing is lengthwise grain going top to bottom to avoid undue stretching. The tops of bed quilts get tugged on a lot.