Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: does it matter which way backing goes

Hi everyone,

I am making a whole cloth quilt for my daughter. The top is Tricot (a nylon fabric that slips are made of). The width of this fabric is 108". I asked at the LQS, and the longarmer told me it didn't matter which way the width went. The quilt is going to be a twin size, just extra long, which is what my daughter wants. The backing is also 108" wide. I was able to get 2 yards of tricot and wondered if it matters on the backing which way it goes. Do I have to put the 108" width, which means I have to cut off extra on the sides, or can I make the width the length?

Thanks
    hsquiltingmom

Blog Entries
    I am careful of grain only on quilts that will be hung ( to prevent sagging), but for a bed quilt, just do what works.

I've done the backing both ways, depending on which way gave me the most economical use of my fabric and $$$. However, I've never used any type of nylon in my quilts, so I don't know if that will make a difference.

Interesting topic, I never new about this. Learn something new every day on the QB!

I usually put the backing on whichever way works so I have to cut it the least. I don't know if the nylon would make any difference or not as I haven't worked with it.

Thanks for your responses. I like to be able to use fabric in the most economical way as well. As for the tricot (nylon) it really does not make a difference. Yay. I can get it backed today and start quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggiemom
    I usually put the backing on whichever way works so I have to cut it the least. I don't know if the nylon would make any difference or not as I haven't worked with it.
    Same for me, I try to save the $$$.

I don't think it matters which way the backing goes, either. My only concern would be how it's going to be quilted. If by hand, does a needle go through it easily? If by machine, is the needle going to cause the fabric to develop runs? I haven't figured out how others can use some of the blended fabrics without the runs. I'll be curious to see your results. Why did you choose tricot fabric?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggiemom
    Same for me, I try to save the $$$.
    ditto here

Even on bed quilts I make sure the backing is lengthwise grain going top to bottom to avoid undue stretching. The tops of bed quilts get tugged on a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning
    I don't think it matters which way the backing goes, either. My only concern would be how it's going to be quilted. If by hand, does a needle go through it easily? If by machine, is the needle going to cause the fabric to develop runs? I haven't figured out how others can use some of the blended fabrics without the runs. I'll be curious to see your results. Why did you choose tricot fabric?
    I chose tricot because I have two quilts made of tricot and they make really nice quilts. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and the tricot is used to make temple quilts for weddings. It is nice and soft and for doing whole cloth quilts they are great.

Since I like to use pieced backings with planned over blocks, I don't see what the difference is for a bed quilt.

ali

Interesting fabric choice, thanks for sharing!

Do you find that the quilts with that tricot backing tend to slip off the bed during sleep because the backing is so slick? And the stitching never causes a runner?

I do find that if a tricot quilt is backed with tricot, they do slide off the bed. Both of my quilts are that way. I back mine with either flannel, cotton, or poly/cotton blends and they stay on much better. I have never had a problem with the quilting causing running, it is usually my ring that causes that.

I love these quilts and they are really warm. I have a list of quilts to do that are for one of my best friends married children (my kids refer to her as grandma), and one for my daughter and son-in-law, after I get the one done I am working on for my granddaughter. My niece is finally having a girl after 5 boys, so I am thinking I will do one for her as well.