Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dose anyone here collect old wooden spools of thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dose-anyone-here-collect-old-wooden-spools-thread-t202642.html)

Jen C 10-09-2012 01:05 PM

Love the spools and the bright colored threads. I have never seen an ornament made from a thread spool but would love to. They would be a great gift for a quilt friend. Jen

fred singer 10-09-2012 01:12 PM

very cute ideas

sewbeadit 10-09-2012 01:59 PM

I do too, what a wonderful find. I would love to dip my hands into those threads.

anothernancy 10-09-2012 05:57 PM

I found a plastic bag of very old wooden spools at goodwill for 99 cents. I bought it for my sewing room. What a find, eh?

ghostrider 10-09-2012 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Iamquilter (Post 5572726)
I read someplace, don't remember where, but that wooden spools are worth a lot of money, so I put all my wooden spools in a box with a note not to get rid of them .

They're only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. As true 'collectables' they're not worth much at all, however.

I have a couple hundred, not collected really. Some were my mother's and most were simply purchased new when I first started sewing. I still use the thread so they're all treated like any other spool of thread.

Alice Woodhull 10-10-2012 03:59 AM

I just keep my own empty spools. I heard someone tell of going to an auction where a lady had a bushel basket of empty spools so decided to see if I could have that many. I have them scattered around in shoe boxes, etc. and I imagine I'm on my second bushel by now. I need to find a basket and see how many I really have. I don't want anyone else's spools. Just want to see how many I have emptied and it is a bunch.

grann of 6 10-10-2012 04:24 AM

I have a bunch of thread that was my mother's, plus thread that my DN gave me when his wife passed. I don't use the thread, as it becomes very brittle with age. I also like the look of the thread colors on the old spools. DDIL gave me an antique thread holder that I have thread on. All I can think of, is when I pass on to the great quilting room in the sky, my family is going to come into my sewing room and GASP and wonder what in the world I was saving all that "junk" for. I have old zippers, snaps on a card for 10cents.....

msmariab5 10-10-2012 04:28 AM

I made a lamp with my collection. Had to ask all my friends for their wooden spools to fill it! Now just need a lamp shade and viola!!!! Can't wait to finish it.
Thanks for starting this thread, great question!!!

Aurora 10-10-2012 04:44 AM

Just purchased a couple of tins and a sewing basket of wooden spools at an auction, some still have thread on them. I just love wooden spools -- especially the little ones with silk thread still on them.

jitkaau 10-10-2012 04:50 AM

That lot in the photo would set one back by approximately $371.00 if it is polyester and approximately $650.00 if it is cotton-so not likely to collect too many spools...lol!