Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Easy Threading Needle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/easy-threading-needle-t216879.html)

Emma S 03-20-2013 01:31 PM

Easy Threading Needle

Just recently watched a Leah Day class. She mentioned a needle that she likes for burying the thread in a quilt. It has a hole in the top so you don't have to thread the double thread through the eye. I bought a packet and am really delighted, cut the time it takes by at least half. I may be the last person in the world that didn't know about this but thought it would be worth posting.

EllieGirl 03-20-2013 02:04 PM

A friend of my mother's introduced me to those. They are great! I'm taking the same class. I have learned so much already and I'm only as far as the broken threads lesson.

Stitchnripper 03-20-2013 02:11 PM

I use them too.

SherriB 03-20-2013 02:13 PM

What is the name of the needles? Can you find them at Hancock Fabrics?

Holice 03-20-2013 02:22 PM

I have used those needles but ind it easy for the thread to come loose.
I prefer the "Spiral Needle" It is more expensive but for me is worth the time it takes to keep rethreading.
The slot for threading is on the side and not the top so your thread can't come out of the top threading version.

susie-susie-susie 03-20-2013 02:25 PM

I bought some that had the opening at the top of the eye. They kept breaking the thread. I finally bought those cheap needle threaders and they worked so much better. The only problem I had was losing the darn threader!

QuiltnNan 03-20-2013 04:01 PM

the lady that makes/sells the spiral eye lives just down the hiway from me. i bought them but am not that thrilled with them. the shaft is somewhat thick which makes them hard to pull through the fabric.

Emma S 03-20-2013 05:18 PM

I only use them for burying the thread in the quilt. I sure do see how they might come unthreaded is you actually were using them to sew with.

Ellie: I am through the whole course. She really conveys a relaxed attitude towards the whole process and somehow gives you "permission" to feel the same. Really helped with her concept of "traveling" and using the ditch as an escape route. Well worth the time. I am having problems with breaking thread when I FM so will try the polyester thread as she recommended. Connecting threads carries a complete line that I may try.

franc36 03-20-2013 05:55 PM

I have been using those needles for the past year. I use them only for burying threads and love them. In the beginning, I had some broken threads; but haven't broken a thread in months. I have vision problems and find them much easier to use for burying threads than trying to thread a regular needle.

Peckish 03-20-2013 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5942390)
i bought them but am not that thrilled with them. the shaft is somewhat thick which makes them hard to pull through the fabric.

I had the exact same experience. I emailed the maker and asked if she had any quilting or betweens, something a bit finer. She said no. Bummer - I'm sure they'd be very successful!