Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Easy Threading Needle

Easy Threading Needle

Just recently watched a Leah Day class. She mentioned a needle that she likes for burying the thread in a quilt. It has a hole in the top so you don't have to thread the double thread through the eye. I bought a packet and am really delighted, cut the time it takes by at least half. I may be the last person in the world that didn't know about this but thought it would be worth posting.

A friend of my mother's introduced me to those. They are great! I'm taking the same class. I have learned so much already and I'm only as far as the broken threads lesson.

I use them too.

Blog Entries
    What is the name of the needles? Can you find them at Hancock Fabrics?
    Sherri

Banned
    I have used those needles but ind it easy for the thread to come loose.
    I prefer the "Spiral Needle" It is more expensive but for me is worth the time it takes to keep rethreading.
    The slot for threading is on the side and not the top so your thread can't come out of the top threading version.

I bought some that had the opening at the top of the eye. They kept breaking the thread. I finally bought those cheap needle threaders and they worked so much better. The only problem I had was losing the darn threader!

Blog Entries
    the lady that makes/sells the spiral eye lives just down the hiway from me. i bought them but am not that thrilled with them. the shaft is somewhat thick which makes them hard to pull through the fabric.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I only use them for burying the thread in the quilt. I sure do see how they might come unthreaded is you actually were using them to sew with.

Ellie: I am through the whole course. She really conveys a relaxed attitude towards the whole process and somehow gives you "permission" to feel the same. Really helped with her concept of "traveling" and using the ditch as an escape route. Well worth the time. I am having problems with breaking thread when I FM so will try the polyester thread as she recommended. Connecting threads carries a complete line that I may try.

I have been using those needles for the past year. I use them only for burying threads and love them. In the beginning, I had some broken threads; but haven't broken a thread in months. I have vision problems and find them much easier to use for burying threads than trying to thread a regular needle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    i bought them but am not that thrilled with them. the shaft is somewhat thick which makes them hard to pull through the fabric.
    I had the exact same experience. I emailed the maker and asked if she had any quilting or betweens, something a bit finer. She said no. Bummer - I'm sure they'd be very successful!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    the lady that makes/sells the spiral eye lives just down the hiway from me. i bought them but am not that thrilled with them. the shaft is somewhat thick which makes them hard to pull through the fabric.
    I tried one at the Lancaster show this past weekend. I found them quite thick as well. My question was how long before they are dull? I will stick with my regular self-threading needles. Do they cut the thread sometimes? Yes. Do I have to rethread a little bit more than I like? Yes. But the holes left behind are tiny and I don't feel anything when they go into the discard bottle.

I love the easy-threading needles. They make burying threads quick and easy, with an absolute minimum of hassle, especially for those of us who no longer have the best vision... I inherited a package from my mom and bless her every time I use them.

It is true that some individual needles seem to cut the thread - this might be a manufacturing quirk. If this happens, I just change to another needle in the package.
    Maggie in Jerusalem
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/maggiemwdesigns

Quote Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
    Just recently watched a Leah Day class. She mentioned a needle that she likes for burying the thread in a quilt. It has a hole in the top so you don't have to thread the double thread through the eye. I bought a packet and am really delighted, cut the time it takes by at least half. I may be the last person in the world that didn't know about this but thought it would be worth posting.
    Emma I looked through this thread and can't find the name of the needles your talking about, unless I missed it somewhere. Can you give the name of the needles that Leah Day uses that you like so well please? Thanks!
    Kelly

Kelly: The package I have is Dritz from JoAnns and is labeled "6 Easy Threading". Considering the number of people who know about the product, I suspect you could get the same thing under different names.

Thanks so much Emma! I'm heading there today. Kelly
    Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
    I am having problems with breaking thread when I FM so will try the polyester thread as she recommended. Connecting threads carries a complete line that I may try.
    Not to discourage you from Connecting Threads- but if you try their poly, buy one before you buy a bunch. I have never tried it, so I have no idea, but their cotton thread is the thickest thread I've ever used for the weight it says it is (still, it is my go to cotton thread, not bashing.)

The thing that makes the Isacord so ideal for the type of quilting Leah does is that it is thin, so you can stack many layers of it without breakage, or too much build up. If the Connecting Threads poly is thick it won't have the same property regardless of being poly.

I buy my Isacord from IMachinegroup.com- if you buy 5-10 spools, shipping isn't as bad and it is the best price I've found online. (Not affiliated) I get the giant cones of white. I find I use a lot of white.

I have the easy threading needles with the hole on the top and the thread breaks all the time. I bought the spiral eye needles at Hobby Lobby. $9.99 for 2 reegular price--used 40% off coupon. Still was $6 for two needles but they work so much better. I just have to be very careful not to lose them.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by GagaSmith View Post
    I just have to be very careful not to lose them.
    I have a magnetic pincushion I use ONLY for my easy thread needles. That way I don't lose them. I hate rebuying specialty tools.

I took a class with Joannie Zeller Pool, and she just cuts her freemotion threads, not buries them. I've started doing that, it is much easier that way.

Skittl: Thanks for the information re CT and the IMachine link. I was going to jump into the deep end of the pool and buy several of the white and the black. I will be more cautious.
    GaGa: Glad you found an alternative that worked for you. I think the big differance between my experience and others is I only use them to bury the thread, no real sewing.
    This is why I love this board and the people on it, you share one little item and the response triples your information. Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice View Post
    I prefer the "Spiral Needle" It is more expensive but for me is worth the time it takes to keep rethreading.
    The slot for threading is on the side and not the top so your thread can't come out of the top threading version.
    Have to agree.

I've tried the kind that you have to poke the thread through a "notch" in the top of the needle and it can shred the thread, and will sometimes break it. I got the Sprial Eye needles and LOVE them. Yes, pricier ... but well worth it.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I just found out about them last year and I've been quilting over 50 years.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Quote Originally Posted by Holice View Post
    These are the ones I use, and they are expensive so I only byt the packs with the smaller quilting needles in it and I keep these needles stored separately so I can keep track of them.
    Pat
    pat design

I love these needles, Leah Day calls them cheater needles. The actual name is Quilter's Self Threading needles. I use them to bury my quilting thread ends, and it is so much fast, especially if you are changing threads a lot on your quilt, due to color or design. I have used them as regular needles, only using the hole in the needle, not the self threading part. This is one of my "I can't live without" quilting supplies.
    "Impossible is an opinion, not a fact" Cameron Clapp

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...47687D2C18.png

Blog Entries
    I've learned so much from Leah Day, but learning about these self-threading needles is one of my favorite tips from her. Now, I don't know that I'll ever be able to live without them.

I to use that needle-as we get older our eyesight gets less, so it is hard to thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast