Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle threading question >

Needle threading question

Needle threading question

Old 06-02-2011, 09:20 AM

I hope this is the correct section for this question? I'm practicing some hand quilting on a practice piece I found from taking a class years ago... was having a terrible time threading the needle, so tried using a needle threader and broke the top of the needle off, to two needles! It doesn't look like it should be a difficult thing to thread a needle, and perhaps I'm not using the correct technique (I tried to do just like the images on the package, along with my common sense)... I can't seem to get the thread and threader back out once I've put the thread through the threader...

Am I doing something wrong? Should the needle break off? Any ideas?

For now, I've abandoned those needles and found one (ONE) I can thread more easily... I'm also headed to city to buy more needles... all I've found to use are those from my mom's things and they appear to be pretty old.

And, by the way, I'm loving the practice!! I have a LONG way to go to achieve small, even stitches, but I'm loving it!!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

Yes the eye on many hand quilting betweens is way too small to be able to use a needle threader. I use Roxanne betweens size 11. The eye is bigger on them but it still won't accomodate a needle threader. I have a magnifier on my Ott floor lamp that I use and I wet the needle eye not the thread when threading. I also cut my thread end on a diagonal. Finally look at the eye of your needles carefully as usually one side is slightly larger than the other so use the large side to thread it.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:33 AM

Roxanne... Ok, thanks for the info!!! I'll be looking for Roxanne betweens! And thanks for the other tips, too!!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:34 AM

I have never had any problems with threading the needle - lucky me! There is just one more tip I want to share:
hold the thread end very shortly between your thumb and forefinger and guide the needle's eye over the thread. This is much easier than holding the needle and trying to push the thread through the eye! If necessary turn the needle to find the larger side.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:35 AM

I used to have trouble threading my needles too until I saw on this board that there is a good side of the needle to thread from. All I do now is if it doesn't go the 1st time I turn the needle around & it always goes right in & I use Piecemakers size 10. And cut on the slant !
Old 06-02-2011, 11:46 AM

I would also recommend if you are buying Roxanne needles to get some Roxanne threaders. They are the only ones I have found that work with the Roxanne needles - which are the only ones I use. I can even use their threaders with their #12 betweens which are REALLY tiny. Try a different thread as well...your's might just be too heavy/thich for the needles that you are using. Enjoy.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
I would also recommend if you are buying Roxanne needles to get some Roxanne threaders. They are the only ones I have found that work with the Roxanne needles - which are the only ones I use. I can even use their threaders with their #12 betweens which are REALLY tiny. Try a different thread as well...your's might just be too heavy/thich for the needles that you are using. Enjoy.
Instead of wetting thread wet the needle. Thread goes in just about every time with no problems. Wet needle kinda acts like a magnet.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

Also, I have found that if I thread the needle with the end furthest away from the reel of thread, it seems to twist less than if I use the end nearest the reel.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:32 PM

Needle holes are made by stamping them into the needle, ergo - one side of the eye is larger and smoother than the other. Turn your needle until you can see the larger hole and put your thread in on that side.
Also I find rounded holes are easier to thread than elongated ones.
Don't use a needle threader but it probably works the same way - going in the larger sided hole it may slip back out better (worth a try). Carol