Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ebay Super Finds (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ebay-super-finds-t71986.html)

stevendebbie25 10-24-2010 07:44 AM

Ok, not an Ebay junky, but I have found great bargans, and never thought about looking for quilting items. I have bought 'NEW' in packages, all type rulers, new books & DVDs, and Gingher Rotary with replacement blade for $20 (set), and new in tin..locally at JoAnns & Hancock, Gingher is $60, at the quilt shop it's $80. Why pay more for the same price, and often (I watch for these) it's free shipping..if the bid goes to high, scroll down, there's probably the same item starting at a lower bid to jump in on, or just put in 'watching'. There is also a place for Quilters Penny Auctions, you buy your 'penny' for 80 cents buy more pennies price goes down as low as 65 cents. You bid a penny at a time 'penny auction', and it can be fun at the end, a nail biter bidding, I lost by a fraction second, someone bought the AccuQuilter for $1.47 !!!
So at high penny price, that was only $11.76, these machines are not cheep, what a bargain, don't get distracted at the end. Other finds from rulers to batting to tools for just pennies. Believe it's sewbids.com?
Also love fabshophop.com opens shops across the nation, type search and find items on sale, look through the selection that comes up, some stores have a sale, some won't. I'm a bargain shopper, want that dollar to stretch.

np3 10-24-2010 07:46 AM

Great information. Thanks!

Jodie02b 10-24-2010 08:03 AM

Thanks, I will definetly keep a look out.

Candace 10-24-2010 08:15 AM

We've had several threads about sewbids. Do a search. Most of us have agreed it's not buying, it's gambling and borderline legal. Buyer beware.

np3 10-24-2010 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
We've had several threads about sewbids. Do a search. Most of us have agreed it's not buying, it's gambling and borderline legal. Buyer beware.

Just went and looked. I agree. The clock can keep changing when a bid comes in so even though you think it is ready to end, it doesn't.

stevendebbie25 10-24-2010 09:03 AM

I learned of this on another group, the mom owns a quilt shop, they have a warehouse now of items, it is legal, and he makes money on the penny bids (costing more) because once you bid, win or not, your pennies are gone.
As any business, it takes time to generate from expenses to income. I've not had any problems with sewbids or ebay so far. And I do not personally know this sewbids owner, but I did question a lot of things when he opened, and he called me several times to explain how it works.
But it's still a personal choice, some don't like ebay or yard sales. Just wanted to share some options for new items and lower prices.

stevendebbie25 10-24-2010 09:09 AM

The clock changes only the last few seconds to give the bidders a chance to hit that button again. I hesitated for a second, and it went onto sold, I lost out on that accuquilter for 1 penny...don't look away on the nail bitter auctions, all the regular auctions I used their bid buddy, and it works..just like ebay, you bid what your top is, and you win or not...it increases up to your limit you set, and then stops if you dont' change that limit. It's the high ticket items like a sewing machine, accuquilter, that will be set as nail bitter auctions, no bid buddy used, and those have the changing clock at the last count down...but someone does win. Again, an option, a choice, and learning curve.

Moonpi 10-24-2010 09:12 AM

I buy lots of stuff from E-Bay and am generally pleased with my purchases. Before you bid, be sure to figure in the shipping and understand what you are getting. Ask questions - more than once, I've found a misprint that would have cost me dearly if I had not contacted the seller first.

I love the bargains on used quilting magazines.

np3 10-24-2010 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
The clock changes only the last few seconds to give the bidders a chance to hit that button again. I hesitated for a second, and it went onto sold, I lost out on that accuquilter for 1 penny...don't look away on the nail bitter auctions, all the regular auctions I used their bid buddy, and it works..just like ebay, you bid what your top is, and you win or not...it increases up to your limit you set, and then stops if you dont' change that limit. It's the high ticket items like a sewing machine, accuquilter, that will be set as nail bitter auctions, no bid buddy used, and those have the changing clock at the last count down...but someone does win. Again, an option, a choice, and learning curve.

But if you don't win, you have lost the money that you bid. That is not like eBay at all. I only pay for what I win on eBay.

OHSue 10-24-2010 09:23 AM

I have heard about penny auctions, but I have to admit I am sort of an eBay junkie and I think that the penny auctions would be too addictive to me!
I do find great things on eBay, part of the reason is that I am up very late, not much of a sleeper, and I often do eBay after 1Am. Bidding is not quite so "fierce" at that time. Just last night I got a set of Kaye Wood rulers and booklet for a steal.