Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Ebay Super Finds

  1. #1
    community benefactor stevendebbie25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washburn, North Dakota
    Posts
    295
    Ok, not an Ebay junky, but I have found great bargans, and never thought about looking for quilting items. I have bought 'NEW' in packages, all type rulers, new books & DVDs, and Gingher Rotary with replacement blade for $20 (set), and new in tin..locally at JoAnns & Hancock, Gingher is $60, at the quilt shop it's $80. Why pay more for the same price, and often (I watch for these) it's free shipping..if the bid goes to high, scroll down, there's probably the same item starting at a lower bid to jump in on, or just put in 'watching'. There is also a place for Quilters Penny Auctions, you buy your 'penny' for 80 cents buy more pennies price goes down as low as 65 cents. You bid a penny at a time 'penny auction', and it can be fun at the end, a nail biter bidding, I lost by a fraction second, someone bought the AccuQuilter for $1.47 !!!
    So at high penny price, that was only $11.76, these machines are not cheep, what a bargain, don't get distracted at the end. Other finds from rulers to batting to tools for just pennies. Believe it's sewbids.com?
    Also love fabshophop.com opens shops across the nation, type search and find items on sale, look through the selection that comes up, some stores have a sale, some won't. I'm a bargain shopper, want that dollar to stretch.

  2. #2
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Great information. Thanks!

  3. #3
    Jodie02b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    231
    Thanks, I will definetly keep a look out.

  4. #4
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    We've had several threads about sewbids. Do a search. Most of us have agreed it's not buying, it's gambling and borderline legal. Buyer beware.

  5. #5
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    We've had several threads about sewbids. Do a search. Most of us have agreed it's not buying, it's gambling and borderline legal. Buyer beware.
    Just went and looked. I agree. The clock can keep changing when a bid comes in so even though you think it is ready to end, it doesn't.

  6. #6
    community benefactor stevendebbie25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washburn, North Dakota
    Posts
    295
    I learned of this on another group, the mom owns a quilt shop, they have a warehouse now of items, it is legal, and he makes money on the penny bids (costing more) because once you bid, win or not, your pennies are gone.
    As any business, it takes time to generate from expenses to income. I've not had any problems with sewbids or ebay so far. And I do not personally know this sewbids owner, but I did question a lot of things when he opened, and he called me several times to explain how it works.
    But it's still a personal choice, some don't like ebay or yard sales. Just wanted to share some options for new items and lower prices.

  7. #7
    community benefactor stevendebbie25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washburn, North Dakota
    Posts
    295
    The clock changes only the last few seconds to give the bidders a chance to hit that button again. I hesitated for a second, and it went onto sold, I lost out on that accuquilter for 1 penny...don't look away on the nail bitter auctions, all the regular auctions I used their bid buddy, and it works..just like ebay, you bid what your top is, and you win or not...it increases up to your limit you set, and then stops if you dont' change that limit. It's the high ticket items like a sewing machine, accuquilter, that will be set as nail bitter auctions, no bid buddy used, and those have the changing clock at the last count down...but someone does win. Again, an option, a choice, and learning curve.

  8. #8
    Super Member Moonpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,851
    I buy lots of stuff from E-Bay and am generally pleased with my purchases. Before you bid, be sure to figure in the shipping and understand what you are getting. Ask questions - more than once, I've found a misprint that would have cost me dearly if I had not contacted the seller first.

    I love the bargains on used quilting magazines.

  9. #9
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
    The clock changes only the last few seconds to give the bidders a chance to hit that button again. I hesitated for a second, and it went onto sold, I lost out on that accuquilter for 1 penny...don't look away on the nail bitter auctions, all the regular auctions I used their bid buddy, and it works..just like ebay, you bid what your top is, and you win or not...it increases up to your limit you set, and then stops if you dont' change that limit. It's the high ticket items like a sewing machine, accuquilter, that will be set as nail bitter auctions, no bid buddy used, and those have the changing clock at the last count down...but someone does win. Again, an option, a choice, and learning curve.

    But if you don't win, you have lost the money that you bid. That is not like eBay at all. I only pay for what I win on eBay.

  10. #10
    Super Member OHSue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,415
    I have heard about penny auctions, but I have to admit I am sort of an eBay junkie and I think that the penny auctions would be too addictive to me!
    I do find great things on eBay, part of the reason is that I am up very late, not much of a sleeper, and I often do eBay after 1Am. Bidding is not quite so "fierce" at that time. Just last night I got a set of Kaye Wood rulers and booklet for a steal.

  11. #11
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Ebay is a totally legitimate auction. SewBids...NOT. Again, buyer or victim beware.

  12. #12
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    10,710
    Blog Entries
    36
    Wow what a scheme. Just think 1000 people bid a penny which costs .80 and he gets to keep the pennies after it is won and one person gets the item. They are making a lot and this is like a lotto to me. Have to agree with Candace . I guess it is legal in some states. Oh well, if you do it enjoy. I tend to stick to ebay.
    OK I will ask. Brain thinking here. If you bid on an item that is worth 5.00 and you bid two pennies which is 1.60 then whoever wins it for that got a great deal, then he gets to keep the other pennies others bid and lost so a dollar item could get net him 20.00+ . Sigh...................

  13. #13
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Wow what a scheme. Just think 1000 people bid a penny which costs .80 and he gets to keep the pennies after it is won and one person gets the item. They are making a lot and this is like a lotto to me. Have to agree with Candace . I guess it is legal in some states. Oh well, if you do it enjoy. I tend to stick to ebay.
    OK I will ask. Brain thinking here. If you bid on an item that is worth 5.00 and you bid two pennies which is 1.60 then whoever wins it for that got a great deal, then he gets to keep the other pennies others bid and lost so a dollar item could get net him 20.00+ . Sigh...................
    Exactly! I'll stick to ebay where my penny is a penny and I keep them if I don't win!

  14. #14
    community benefactor stevendebbie25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washburn, North Dakota
    Posts
    295
    Yes, you lose that money, and I lost when I bid, but others are bidding too, so I lost about 10 pennies ($8)but if you win, you've got something worth a couple hundred for VERY cheep...just a risk, "penny auction".. how they work, there are others online, but this is the only one I guess 'just' for quilters. Later he'll offer soap making and scrapbooking. Still, just an option.

    I'm not a regular on either ebay or sewbids, but it's nice to look when I'm interested from time to time... I bought lots of tools, rulers, rotaries for my 4 daughters and my supplies, at fraction of what it would cost me locally...more money for fabrics, classes, and quilt retreats....in this day and age, could be needed for more bills again, ugh.

  15. #15
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
    Yes, you lose that money, and I lost when I bid, but others are bidding too, so I lost about 10 pennies ($8)but if you win, you've got something worth a couple hundred for VERY cheep...just a risk, "penny auction".. how they work, there are others online, but this is the only one I guess 'just' for quilters. Later he'll offer soap making and scrapbooking. Still, just an option.

    I'm not a regular on either ebay or sewbids, but it's nice to look when I'm interested from time to time... I bought lots of tools, rulers, rotaries for my 4 daughters and my supplies, at fraction of what it would cost me locally...more money for fabrics, classes, and quilt retreats....in this day and age, could be needed for more bills again, ugh.
    I can't even imagine losing $8, nothing to show for it! And if you lose that several times!!! I don't care how much I might save on the auction I do win, I don't pay anyting for nothing.

  16. #16
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    We've had several threads about sewbids. Do a search. Most of us have agreed it's not buying, it's gambling and borderline legal. Buyer beware.
    One of the penny sites are being investigated and has been shut down... beware that this can happen at any time with any of the others, too. :wink:

  17. #17
    Super Member quiltingnonie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    small town in Oregon
    Posts
    1,715
    I contacted PayPal in regards to sewbids.com having "access" to my PayPal account. They assured me that unless I give out my password, NO ONE can authorize payment except me.

  18. #18
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
    I contacted PayPal in regards to sewbids.com having "access" to my PayPal account. They assured me that unless I give out my password, NO ONE can authorize payment except me.
    Did someone say this could happen? I must have missed that. I think PayPal is totally secure.

  19. #19
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    Paypal really is secure.
    And ebay is definitely a BUYERS market!!
    Especially with the bad economy.

  20. #20
    community benefactor stevendebbie25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washburn, North Dakota
    Posts
    295
    Yes paypal is secure, no sewbids can't access it unless your paying through it. I bought on ebay using paypal and made 4 payments on the purchase (contacted seller, he agreed) and he invoiced me, and could only take out what I agreed with my sign in & code, to allow paid out.

    One warning...Ebay, NEVER trust even who you are contacting with as the seller. A total of 6 people where scammed for a sewing machine at $1,600. I was new to ebay, and didn't relalize I should have only used paypal to pay, and I sent my money Western Union (thought this had to be secure to, they have to have so much ID to send it...but obviously not to pick it up), it was picked up without ID in Italy, I lost my money, Ebay can't do anything about it, and informed me of the other 5 being scammed. Then on the news, I heard of 2 being scammed for a Harley motorcycle, BIG bucks.

    With this sewing machine, I had contacted the seller MANY times with lots of questions, warrenty, etc. He responded, friendly. This was a 100% seller who'd had hundreds of sales, and I researched, this is the type seller your supposed to trust, right? Well, this sellers account had been hacked into, the emails where being intercepted, and he noticed no action on "his sales" so he contacted Ebay, and then from those of us who got scammed complaining, Ebay put 2 & 2 together, to discover this hacking. The "robber" responded to us 'buyers' emails, and stole our money, not even in the USA, the "real" seller was in California, and had nothing to do with sewing machines at all. (I thought I was buying out of Calif too) He ended up having to close his auctions down, and restart from scratch sale #1, and rebuild his reputation under a new name. Felt bad for him, felt stupid and worse for me... NEVER buy outside paypal, it's the only protection you really have.

    Oh, and then I recently got a notice by email my paypal account needed updated. I didn't respond, I contacted paypal through my own account, and yes, it did need updated to tie into an account. I talked with a real person by phone, and he told me to open a new account, with debit/visa, ONLY put into that account what I need to make my purchases, and I can choose the paypal to go direct through that account or the visa (which is how I go, as it builds airline miles, I have 8 tickets now on my reg.used card), but still, this account is protected by paypal, by being visa tied, by my bank, and never has more than the money I plan to spend...I transfer it before paying any online purchases..so most of the time it only has $1 in it until I need it again. This man by phone did not ask for any passwords, said they will NEVER request passwords, and he would not even set up my new account info online for me, I had to go into my account and set it up myself. He warned they will NEVER ask your password or account info, it's typed in (becoming dots only) and secure. So far, no problems.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.