Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ebay Super Finds >

Ebay Super Finds

Ebay Super Finds

Old 10-24-2010, 09:25 AM

Ebay is a totally legitimate auction. SewBids...NOT. Again, buyer or victim beware.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:28 AM

Wow what a scheme. Just think 1000 people bid a penny which costs .80 and he gets to keep the pennies after it is won and one person gets the item. They are making a lot and this is like a lotto to me. Have to agree with Candace . I guess it is legal in some states. Oh well, if you do it enjoy. I tend to stick to ebay.
OK I will ask. Brain thinking here. If you bid on an item that is worth 5.00 and you bid two pennies which is 1.60 then whoever wins it for that got a great deal, then he gets to keep the other pennies others bid and lost so a dollar item could get net him 20.00+ . Sigh...................
Old 10-24-2010, 09:37 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
Wow what a scheme. Just think 1000 people bid a penny which costs .80 and he gets to keep the pennies after it is won and one person gets the item. They are making a lot and this is like a lotto to me. Have to agree with Candace . I guess it is legal in some states. Oh well, if you do it enjoy. I tend to stick to ebay.
OK I will ask. Brain thinking here. If you bid on an item that is worth 5.00 and you bid two pennies which is 1.60 then whoever wins it for that got a great deal, then he gets to keep the other pennies others bid and lost so a dollar item could get net him 20.00+ . Sigh...................
Exactly! I'll stick to ebay where my penny is a penny and I keep them if I don't win!
Old 10-24-2010, 09:39 AM

Yes, you lose that money, and I lost when I bid, but others are bidding too, so I lost about 10 pennies ($8)but if you win, you've got something worth a couple hundred for VERY cheep...just a risk, "penny auction".. how they work, there are others online, but this is the only one I guess 'just' for quilters. Later he'll offer soap making and scrapbooking. Still, just an option.

I'm not a regular on either ebay or sewbids, but it's nice to look when I'm interested from time to time... I bought lots of tools, rulers, rotaries for my 4 daughters and my supplies, at fraction of what it would cost me locally...more money for fabrics, classes, and quilt retreats....in this day and age, could be needed for more bills again, ugh.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:51 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
Yes, you lose that money, and I lost when I bid, but others are bidding too, so I lost about 10 pennies ($8)but if you win, you've got something worth a couple hundred for VERY cheep...just a risk, "penny auction".. how they work, there are others online, but this is the only one I guess 'just' for quilters. Later he'll offer soap making and scrapbooking. Still, just an option.

I'm not a regular on either ebay or sewbids, but it's nice to look when I'm interested from time to time... I bought lots of tools, rulers, rotaries for my 4 daughters and my supplies, at fraction of what it would cost me locally...more money for fabrics, classes, and quilt retreats....in this day and age, could be needed for more bills again, ugh.
I can't even imagine losing $8, nothing to show for it! And if you lose that several times!!! I don't care how much I might save on the auction I do win, I don't pay anyting for nothing.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace
We've had several threads about sewbids. Do a search. Most of us have agreed it's not buying, it's gambling and borderline legal. Buyer beware.
One of the penny sites are being investigated and has been shut down... beware that this can happen at any time with any of the others, too. :wink:
Old 10-24-2010, 04:36 PM

I contacted PayPal in regards to sewbids.com having "access" to my PayPal account. They assured me that unless I give out my password, NO ONE can authorize payment except me.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:47 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
I contacted PayPal in regards to sewbids.com having "access" to my PayPal account. They assured me that unless I give out my password, NO ONE can authorize payment except me.
Did someone say this could happen? I must have missed that. I think PayPal is totally secure.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

Paypal really is secure.
And ebay is definitely a BUYERS market!!
Especially with the bad economy.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:14 PM

Yes paypal is secure, no sewbids can't access it unless your paying through it. I bought on ebay using paypal and made 4 payments on the purchase (contacted seller, he agreed) and he invoiced me, and could only take out what I agreed with my sign in & code, to allow paid out.

One warning...Ebay, NEVER trust even who you are contacting with as the seller. A total of 6 people where scammed for a sewing machine at $1,600. I was new to ebay, and didn't relalize I should have only used paypal to pay, and I sent my money Western Union (thought this had to be secure to, they have to have so much ID to send it...but obviously not to pick it up), it was picked up without ID in Italy, I lost my money, Ebay can't do anything about it, and informed me of the other 5 being scammed. Then on the news, I heard of 2 being scammed for a Harley motorcycle, BIG bucks.

With this sewing machine, I had contacted the seller MANY times with lots of questions, warrenty, etc. He responded, friendly. This was a 100% seller who'd had hundreds of sales, and I researched, this is the type seller your supposed to trust, right? Well, this sellers account had been hacked into, the emails where being intercepted, and he noticed no action on "his sales" so he contacted Ebay, and then from those of us who got scammed complaining, Ebay put 2 & 2 together, to discover this hacking. The "robber" responded to us 'buyers' emails, and stole our money, not even in the USA, the "real" seller was in California, and had nothing to do with sewing machines at all. (I thought I was buying out of Calif too) He ended up having to close his auctions down, and restart from scratch sale #1, and rebuild his reputation under a new name. Felt bad for him, felt stupid and worse for me... NEVER buy outside paypal, it's the only protection you really have.

Oh, and then I recently got a notice by email my paypal account needed updated. I didn't respond, I contacted paypal through my own account, and yes, it did need updated to tie into an account. I talked with a real person by phone, and he told me to open a new account, with debit/visa, ONLY put into that account what I need to make my purchases, and I can choose the paypal to go direct through that account or the visa (which is how I go, as it builds airline miles, I have 8 tickets now on my reg.used card), but still, this account is protected by paypal, by being visa tied, by my bank, and never has more than the money I plan to spend...I transfer it before paying any online purchases..so most of the time it only has $1 in it until I need it again. This man by phone did not ask for any passwords, said they will NEVER request passwords, and he would not even set up my new account info online for me, I had to go into my account and set it up myself. He warned they will NEVER ask your password or account info, it's typed in (becoming dots only) and secure. So far, no problems.