Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Elm Creek Books (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/elm-creek-books-t210463.html)

QuiltnMyra 01-08-2013 03:29 PM

Elm Creek Books

Yesterday I bought two lovely pieces of fabric designed by Jennifer Chiaverini of Elm Creek fame and thought I'd ask: What is your favourite Elm Creek Book? Mine is The Sugar Camp Quilt, because I so much enjoyed the hidden messages and directions built into the quilt.

Kooklabell 01-08-2013 03:52 PM

Boy, its been quite some time since I've read her series. I liked them all, but the one I remember the most was the Aloha quilt - filled with hope and new beginnings.

kathyd 01-08-2013 05:50 PM

I have loved reading these books. Just finished the latest 2, at least for me:) "Sanoma Rose" and "The Giving Quilt". I have loved reading all of them - more than once. I don't think I can pick one.
kathyd

EllieGirl 01-08-2013 07:11 PM

I can't remember which ones I've read! I'm reading them in order. So far the one I like the best is the "Cross Country Quilters." it was a great book!

JENNR8R 01-08-2013 08:24 PM

The Quilters Apprentice is what started my interest in quilting. I've read almost all of them many times. There was only one that I didn't like. I can't remember the name, but it was during the Civil War and didn't have much to do with quilts. I only read about a third of that one.

NanaCsews2 01-08-2013 08:35 PM

I was given my first copy of her books-The Quilter's Homecoming -from a friend who knew I quilted and had listened to Jennifer talk at the Madison WI Quilt Expo. I have been wanting to read these books for quite some time. The book is sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read as I have to start at book #1 when there is a series of them. I am hoping to eventually read all of her books, but first have to find them at a reasonable price. Have never seen any at our Goodwill or at garage sales. Possibly no one is willing to part with them. May simply take a chance on Ebay or used sellers at Amazon.

JENNR8R 01-08-2013 08:39 PM

Try the library... Her first books are hard copy and CDs at my library.

fktsewing 01-08-2013 09:20 PM

I love them all but my favorite ones are the first 3 or 4. They are the only ones I buy in hardcover besides the
Harry Potter series

jcrow 01-08-2013 09:50 PM

This Christmas my niece gave me the first book in the series - 'The Quilter's Apprentice'. I thought it would be boring but I was going to give it a try and after the first page I was addicted. I went to Amazon and ordered the next two and read the first one in 24 hours. When the second two arrived I ordered the next three. I have Amazon Prime so I have two day free shipping and I buy the 'Good condition used paperback' ones. I am so thrilled to find these books. And then I find out that she has written quilting books that go along with the novels. Oh my goodness am I in Heaven!!

I didn't even know what a Round Robin was until I read that book. Now I want to meet a few quilters and make one! I'm on the third book and I slowed down because I had other more important things (not to me) I had to take care of, but I can't wait to pick up my novel and read it. I read the second one in one day. I did no cooking or cleaning or sewing or anything but sit on the couch and read!!

And she has a book coming out about Mrs. Lincoln? Oh how great that will be!

Are there other book series about quilting out there that are as good as these? I can't imagine that they can be this entertaining and wholesome and juicy all in one. Jennifer is such a great writer! I've been to her web page a few times. I think I need to spend more time on it.

Enough out of me. I'm just so excited about these books that I didn't know existed before Christmas day this year, 2012.

GailG 01-09-2013 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl (Post 5772569)
I can't remember which ones I've read! I'm reading them in order. So far the one I like the best is the "Cross Country Quilters." it was a great book!

I am reading them in order, the last was The Sugar Camp Quilt. Loved it. Actually it could have been read as the first one, but it was a good change from the others. I haven't ordered the next two. It is hard to choose a favorite since all have a common thread but are different in their own way. She is truly a gifted author.