Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Elmer's for basting...NOT! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/elmers-basting-not-t180790.html)

Delilah 02-26-2012 01:05 PM

Elmer's for basting...NOT!

Was curious about the references I've seen on the Board about using Elmer's Spray Adhesive for basting quilts so I checked it out today. BEWARE, while the can intimated that it could be "temporary" if you read the instructions you will see what they mean by "temporary". The adhesive cannot be washed out like the sprays made specifically for basting. Basting sprays are made to be washed out with soap and water. Elmer's may say "temporary" but please read what they mean by that. Their interpretation of "temporary" does not mean that it can be washed out.

TanyaL 02-26-2012 01:12 PM

What does it mean?

LindaM 02-26-2012 01:16 PM

The Elmers glue for basting that I use is the "school glue" - not a spray. This IS washable and works wonderfully - heat setting (pressing) the binding or pieces - they stay put and I don't mangle my hands with pins.

Prism99 02-26-2012 01:32 PM

The spray adhesive is a different product from the school glue. The Elmer's spray adhesive is used by some people to baste quilt layers, similar to 505 and other spray basting adhesives.

greenini 02-26-2012 01:36 PM

The glue sticks are fine for use for temporary tacking, such as paperpiecing that kind of thing. I always keep a stick or two around.

greensleeves 02-26-2012 02:19 PM

The Elmer's spray adhesive says it it temporary for a time and then is permanent. Allows you to do some adjustments at first. I don't thing the Elmer's spray for quilt basting is the best way to go.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-26-2012 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by LindaM (Post 5010759)
The Elmers glue for basting that I use is the "school glue" - not a spray. This IS washable and works wonderfully - heat setting (pressing) the binding or pieces - they stay put and I don't mangle my hands with pins.

Yep. That's the only Elmer's I use and it is wonderfu.

lfw045 02-26-2012 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 5010807)
The spray adhesive is a different product from the school glue. The Elmer's spray adhesive is used by some people to baste quilt layers, similar to 505 and other spray basting adhesives.

They shouldn't use it for basting quilts........it does not wash out...it becomes permanent. It says so right on the can.:thumbdown:

ckcowl 02-26-2012 03:33 PM

regular elmers glue in a white bottle is what we use for basting! elmers spray adhesive is a totally different product- not to be used on textile projects---it is more of a 'use in the garage' product! it is nothing like basting spray- we use regular elmers glue to baste bindings in place- or appliques----not for basting a quilt sandwich for quilting.

COYOTEMAGIC 02-26-2012 08:16 PM

I use Glue Sticks for all my applique work. I love it because I can pick up and move around any piece that is not in the just right position for about 30minutes before it sets firmly enough for me to machine applique it. Once set it doesn't gum up your needle either. I hate the stiffness that the different heat bond products can give items.

I use "School Glue" all the time to baste my quilts after I first heard people talking about using it. I've had no problem washing it out using plain ol' water and laundry soap. I wash all my quilts in cold water and that doesn't effect it being washed out either. If you get it on too thick, it can be a little hard to sew through. Like I used to tell my students, "Just a dot, not a lot"