Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Elmers glue with Sharon Schamber's method ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/elmers-glue-sharon-schambers-method-t207395.html)

DogHouseMom 12-01-2012 08:50 AM

Elmers glue with Sharon Schamber's method ...

I like the results I get using Sharon Schamber's method of basting with the boards. I get a nice, tight, straight quilt. But I hate hand basting. I also hate when the basting threads catch on my FMQ foot.

So ....

I'm trying the Elmers school glue basting method combined with Sharon Schamber's boards. It's going to be tricky because with the top and bottom on the boards - I'll have to work "backwards" (at least after the first area).

I've just glued the backing/batting/top in the first area. Waiting for it to dry/set.

Fingers crossed.

Dolphyngyrl 12-01-2012 08:58 AM

Someone on here does spray basting with the boards, haven't tried it yet though

Sierra 12-01-2012 09:02 AM

I used Elmer's school glue, the liquid kind, and it smeared a bit (will wash out, and I always wash my quilts when done). Then I tried Elmer's school glue, stick version and like it soooo much better. Easier to control, no smears, nothing on my hands. Either beat pinning!

Scissor Queen 12-01-2012 09:08 AM

I used the Sharon Schamber board method and spray basted instead of thread basted the last 4 quilts I basted. It works really well. But I'm about to run out of spray baste and I don't have a LQS close to get 505 and I'm not very fond of the other brands of spray baste so I'm really thinking about trying Elmer's if it's a quilt I'm going to wash anyway.

EllieGirl 12-01-2012 09:52 AM

I don't know the Sharon Schamber method, but I spray baste all the time. I've used Elmer's Spray and another one I bought from Jo Ann's but I don't remember the name. I think the Elmer's binds faster so doesn't allow as much adjustment. I wouldn't go back to the pinning and basting!

Marcy J. 12-01-2012 03:50 PM

Think I missed something. There has been reference to using Elmers glue to basting the quilt sandwich together. I am aware of using the glue for binding, but is there a different use for the glue and how is it used to baste the quilt together.

DogHouseMom 12-01-2012 04:02 PM

Well ... finished. I will quilt it tomorrow but it looks good. Overall I think it took more time than it would to hand baste because I did sections and had to wait for each section to dry ... but it gave me the chance to do other things while waiting AND *I* wasn't basting!

azwendyg 12-01-2012 04:08 PM

I learned Sharon Schamber's method of rolling on boards and then basting... Did 2 quilts that way. Since then I've substituted 505 spray for the hand basting step in her process and I am MUCH happier! I've spray basted a couple of kingsize quilts this way and FMQ'd them without any puckering problems at all. They hold together very well with 505 spray.

DJ 12-01-2012 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5691578)
I used the Sharon Schamber board method and spray basted instead of thread basted the last 4 quilts I basted. It works really well. But I'm about to run out of spray baste and I don't have a LQS close to get 505 and I'm not very fond of the other brands of spray baste so I'm really thinking about trying Elmer's if it's a quilt I'm going to wash anyway.

I've gotten 505 online at Joanns with a coupon or when it's on sale. Comes right to my door!

Scissor Queen 12-01-2012 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by DJ (Post 5692303)
I've gotten 505 online at Joanns with a coupon or when it's on sale. Comes right to my door!

So have I. The last time I got it it was on sale for 50% off. But it's not even listed on their website anymore.