Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Enlarging without projector (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/enlarging-without-projector-t97783.html)

emptyshellamy 02-08-2011 04:58 AM

I need to enlarge what I thought was a simple design but I found real quick it isn't :oops: It needs to go from ~4"x6" to ~16"x24." I can't take it to Kinkos (etc) because it's a licensed logo (I'm making a sports team quilt for someone locally). I thought I could sort of graph it out on the back of a roll of wrapping paper...oh my gosh, this is crazy! I see a projector on sale at JA's for $60 but that's really eating into my profits...

Am I missing some simple method?

raptureready 02-08-2011 05:02 AM

You could copy it onto graph paper then enlarge a piece of plain graph paper or make your own to the right size. Then it would be as simple as those drawings in a childs coloring book. Just number the squares across the top, letter them down the side and sketch in the drawing of what you want.

Oh, wow, I'd lost my "regular here" status by being off line for a couple of weeks and just realized that it only took me a day to get it back! YEA!!!

Patty Patches 02-08-2011 05:26 AM

Check with your library about a projector

ckcowl 02-08-2011 05:30 AM

$60 for that projector on sale is ridiculous! i picked mine up from Clotilde's (on line) regular price $39...comes in very handy.

PaperPrincess 02-08-2011 05:40 AM

You can use the grid method. Draw a grid on the original, making the lines 1/2" apart. It's 4X6, so you would have a grid of 8X12 squares. You want to go from 4" to 16" so that's 4 times the original size. Now take a large piece of paper and draw the larger grid, which would be 2" squares.(take the 16X24 rectangle and divide it into 2" squares) Now take the little bit of the design in each of the 1/2" squares and transfer it to the larger square, going square by square. I looked for an example on line with pictures, but couldn't find one...

AgapeStitches 02-08-2011 05:41 AM

Scan it into your computer then open it in Paint and enlarge it there. when you print you can center on the page(s) and decide how many pages you want (print preview is available too).

dotcomdtcm 02-08-2011 05:46 AM

Can you scan it & enlarge it on your computer?

emptyshellamy 02-08-2011 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
You can use the grid method. Draw a grid on the original, making the lines 1/2" apart. It's 4X6, so you would have a grid of 8X12 squares. You want to go from 4" to 16" so that's 4 times the original size. Now take a large piece of paper and draw the larger grid, which would be 2" squares.(take the 16X24 rectangle and divide it into 2" squares) Now take the little bit of the design in each of the 1/2" squares and transfer it to the larger square, going square by square. I looked for an example on line with pictures, but couldn't find one...

Yep, I tried that, this is one of those deals where a slight, like 1mm difference, often caused by how I hold pencil against the ruler expands to a major shape-distorting difference. I'm working with stacked stars if that tells you anything (wish I could share a pic but might be bad copyright wise...)

I'm reading all replies, thank you!
Just tried something, cut out one (largest) shape a couple times, going to trim each down on all sides equally & see how that works...might end up working with a ton of flimsy paper templates, ugh! I feel like I'm missing something really easy!

emptyshellamy 02-08-2011 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
Can you scan it & enlarge it on your computer?

One I haven't tried...let me give it a whirl.

sewwhat85 02-08-2011 07:44 AM

good luck