Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Estate Sale find - what would you make with these fabrics? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/estate-sale-find-what-would-you-make-these-fabrics-t216627.html)

ArchaicArcane 03-17-2013 01:07 PM

Estate Sale find - what would you make with these fabrics?

1 Attachment(s)
I went to an estate sale on Friday, and picked up what looks like fabric that was matched for a project. I liked most of the fabrics in it, and figured I would see if I could come up with something that would look nice. It's about 1m of fabric total, and I'm a rank amateur quilter. (I usually tell people I'm an "almost has begun" quilter. My first quilt (an out of control lap quilt) is currently a UFO (awaiting binding), so I do need a relatively easy quilt block to try. Maybe something with half square triangles?
Those don't -completely- terrify me... but should stretch my skill set.

I really enjoy FMQ, though I'm definitely "learning" at that too.

What would you do with these fabrics?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]402403[/ATTACH]

quiltsRfun 03-17-2013 01:34 PM

Disappearing 9 Patch in which case I'd use the yellow for the center so it doesn't overpower everything else. Or possibly pinwheels if you add a light background color. Or maybe Churn dash, again adding a light background.

zennia 03-17-2013 01:39 PM

I don't know what to make but the fabric is really pretty.

nygal 03-17-2013 01:46 PM

Oh I love that batik on the right with the leaves. Very pretty.

ArchaicArcane 03-17-2013 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 5934855)
Disappearing 9 Patch in which case I'd use the yellow for the center so it doesn't overpower everything else. Or possibly pinwheels if you add a light background color. Or maybe Churn dash, again adding a light background.

I was sort of thinking disappearing nine patch too, the ladies in our sewing circle are making some quilts using that block for charity quilts. I might have even been thinking of that when I laid the fabric out for the photo, and not realized it.

I wouldn't even be adverse to losing the yellow altogether, that and maybe the ferns at the bottom. I find they seem to stand out too much to my eye, like the pattern's too "big", so I like your idea of minimizing them in the middle too.

What if I did a sampler of several blocks?

I like the Churn Dash, I didn't know that one by name so I googled it. There was a neat "liberated" churn dash when I googled too.

Originally Posted by zennia (Post 5934871)
I don't know what to make but the fabric is really pretty.

Originally Posted by nygal (Post 5934892)
Oh I love that batik on the right with the leaves. Very pretty.

I think the batik leaves were what caught my attention at the sale too. The one in the upper left is kind of fun too, it's all leaves in various colors.

I was told by a lady who owns a quilt shop that you shouldn't mix batiks with regular quilt fabric because of differing thread counts. Am I going to run into issues with this?

mighty 03-17-2013 02:20 PM

I have to say I would also do a DP9. Great fabric!!!

lots2do 03-17-2013 02:55 PM

I googled the liberated churn dash since I'd never heard of it. Looks like an inebriated churn dash to me! :)

alisonquilts 03-17-2013 03:04 PM

You'll have no problems mixing batiks with "regular" fabrics. I would counsel doing a colour fastness test (I'd just wash 'em myself...but let's not get THAT topic going again). I think you've got a great combination of colours and fabrics, but I don't have a pattern suggestion, just really like them!

Alison

narnianquilter 03-17-2013 03:22 PM

I would do the D9 or maybe a variation of the turning 20.

ArchaicArcane 03-17-2013 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do (Post 5935031)
I googled the liberated churn dash since I'd never heard of it. Looks like an inebriated churn dash to me! :)

LOL! crooked is often easier for me to manage than straight. I wonder how forgiving it would be. :)

Originally Posted by alisonquilts (Post 5935046)
You'll have no problems mixing batiks with "regular" fabrics. I would counsel doing a colour fastness test (I'd just wash 'em myself...but let's not get THAT topic going again). I think you've got a great combination of colours and fabrics, but I don't have a pattern suggestion, just really like them!

Alison

No problem.I'm a "washer". I put "color catchers" on the shopping list this evening too. :) We usually wash most things in cold, so if I keep it, it's not a problem. If I give it away, I'll tell the person who gets it so they don't pull a weird multicolored ball out of the dryer.

Originally Posted by narnianquilter (Post 5935092)
I would do the D9 or maybe a variation of the turning 20.

I think I like the D9 better than the turning 20.... I found this one on craftsy.... thoughts?
http://www.craftsy.com/project/view/...-9-patch/43745

Am I just getting too complex?