Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Estate Sale find - what would you make with these fabrics?

Estate Sale find - what would you make with these fabrics?

I went to an estate sale on Friday, and picked up what looks like fabric that was matched for a project. I liked most of the fabrics in it, and figured I would see if I could come up with something that would look nice. It's about 1m of fabric total, and I'm a rank amateur quilter. (I usually tell people I'm an "almost has begun" quilter. My first quilt (an out of control lap quilt) is currently a UFO (awaiting binding), so I do need a relatively easy quilt block to try. Maybe something with half square triangles?
    Those don't -completely- terrify me... but should stretch my skill set.

I really enjoy FMQ, though I'm definitely "learning" at that too.

What would you do with these fabrics?

Name:  IMG_5333.jpg
Views: 5203
Size:  121.1 KB

Blog Entries
    Disappearing 9 Patch in which case I'd use the yellow for the center so it doesn't overpower everything else. Or possibly pinwheels if you add a light background color. Or maybe Churn dash, again adding a light background.

Blog Entries
    I don't know what to make but the fabric is really pretty.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Oh I love that batik on the right with the leaves. Very pretty.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    Disappearing 9 Patch in which case I'd use the yellow for the center so it doesn't overpower everything else. Or possibly pinwheels if you add a light background color. Or maybe Churn dash, again adding a light background.
    I was sort of thinking disappearing nine patch too, the ladies in our sewing circle are making some quilts using that block for charity quilts. I might have even been thinking of that when I laid the fabric out for the photo, and not realized it.

I wouldn't even be adverse to losing the yellow altogether, that and maybe the ferns at the bottom. I find they seem to stand out too much to my eye, like the pattern's too "big", so I like your idea of minimizing them in the middle too.

What if I did a sampler of several blocks?

I like the Churn Dash, I didn't know that one by name so I googled it. There was a neat "liberated" churn dash when I googled too.

Quote Originally Posted by zennia View Post
    I don't know what to make but the fabric is really pretty.
    Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    Oh I love that batik on the right with the leaves. Very pretty.
    I think the batik leaves were what caught my attention at the sale too. The one in the upper left is kind of fun too, it's all leaves in various colors.

I was told by a lady who owns a quilt shop that you shouldn't mix batiks with regular quilt fabric because of differing thread counts. Am I going to run into issues with this?

I have to say I would also do a DP9. Great fabric!!!

I googled the liberated churn dash since I'd never heard of it. Looks like an inebriated churn dash to me!

You'll have no problems mixing batiks with "regular" fabrics. I would counsel doing a colour fastness test (I'd just wash 'em myself...but let's not get THAT topic going again). I think you've got a great combination of colours and fabrics, but I don't have a pattern suggestion, just really like them!

Alison

I would do the D9 or maybe a variation of the turning 20.

Quote Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
    I googled the liberated churn dash since I'd never heard of it. Looks like an inebriated churn dash to me!
    LOL! crooked is often easier for me to manage than straight. I wonder how forgiving it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
    You'll have no problems mixing batiks with "regular" fabrics. I would counsel doing a colour fastness test (I'd just wash 'em myself...but let's not get THAT topic going again). I think you've got a great combination of colours and fabrics, but I don't have a pattern suggestion, just really like them!

Alison
    No problem.I'm a "washer". I put "color catchers" on the shopping list this evening too. We usually wash most things in cold, so if I keep it, it's not a problem. If I give it away, I'll tell the person who gets it so they don't pull a weird multicolored ball out of the dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by narnianquilter View Post
    I would do the D9 or maybe a variation of the turning 20.
    I think I like the D9 better than the turning 20.... I found this one on craftsy.... thoughts?
    http://www.craftsy.com/project/view/...-9-patch/43745

Am I just getting too complex?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    LOL! crooked is often easier for me to manage than straight. I wonder how forgiving it would be.

No problem.I'm a "washer". I put "color catchers" on the shopping list this evening too. We usually wash most things in cold, so if I keep it, it's not a problem. If I give it away, I'll tell the person who gets it so they don't pull a weird multicolored ball out of the dryer.

I think I like the D9 better than the turning 20.... I found this one on craftsy.... thoughts?
    http://www.craftsy.com/project/view/...-9-patch/43745

Am I just getting too complex?
    That one would be a lot of bias work. I think I like the idea of the DP3 with that yellow in the little blocks.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

I love those fabrics. I think they will go together no matter the pattern. Good Luck

Yellow Brick road would be another nice pattern and the yellow would actually pull the quilt together; it is not a free pattern and $7.00 is the least expensive one that I can find!

tried to post photo - didn't work of course! LOL!

http://www.crazyquiltgirlfabricshop....FQbonAodLTgA1g
    Last edited by Shrink42020; 03-18-2013 at 05:43 AM.
    Sondra

Great find! Can't wait to see what you decide to do with it.

Try pulling the top left fabric (dark red/maroon) away from the mix and see what it does for you.

I could see some pretty pinwheels, but I am a very novice quilter myself. I would not include the yellow either. I'll be anxious to see what you come up with.

they are beautiful fabrics-but muted together except the yellow-it really pops
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Check out the Morning Star 2 pattern on quilterscache.com. This would be beautiful.

With only a meter total, each of these is smaller than a fat quarter, right? You will not get even a generous lap quilt out of them without adding quite a bit of fabric. I think they will benefit from having one or two solid or mottled blender fabrics mixed in that will help to unify the quilt. If you like a modern look, a shadow box quilt would work well with the entire group (except maybe the intense yellow), using at least 2 blocks from each fabric, a dark gray or black for the shadows and an off white, beige or other very light color for the background. I found a post on this board that shows the basics of the design, but I think usually rectangles look better to me in this design than squares: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...w-t116628.html The first comment has a link to one that was done in rectangles. Have fun creating!

I'm editing to add a link to a video that shows one with mixed sizes, and also explains the process: http://vimeo.com/54613518
    Last edited by Rose_P; 03-18-2013 at 06:53 AM.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Pinwheels!!

Power Poster
    I'd suggest a D9P, however, I don't think I would use all the fabrics shown. I like the purple/green leaf batik, the blue and the mottled blue/yellow, but that's just my preference and I'd use it with a soft blue or green, or possibly a white or cream. I've used batiks and "regular" cotton quilting fabric and since I almost always prewash my fabric, bleeding shouldn't be a problem. The batiks are just slightly heavier than most cotton fabrics and since I don't hand quilt, the higher thread count isn't a problem.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
    Try pulling the top left fabric (dark red/maroon) away from the mix and see what it does for you.
    That was my thought when I saw your fabrics. I'd save that one for another quilt.

I love the fabrics and think a sampler quilt would be great

I also think that with only a m. total you will have to add a lot of fabric unless you are doing a mini. So in that case, I would pull both the bright yellow and the burgandy leaf fabrics as they are so much brighter than the softer batik look of the other fabrics.
    If you can find enough blenders to go with them then I think the D9P would work great. Otherwise, I would go for the shadowbox as these are lovely fabrics and would do well showcased.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Agreed, the ferns at the bottom left don't match at all, you should send them to me...

Love 'em!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast