Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Estate Sale find - what would you make with these fabrics?

Really pretty fabrics......I see several quilts....
    There is no place like home!

Blog Entries
    Those are wonderful fabrics. I agree, DP9.

Lynn
    Start the Process
    Don't fail because you
    are afraid to
    Start the Process

I would vote for the D9P. That yellow would really set it off if used as the center.
    sandysews

A merry heart doth good like a medicine.

Wisdom is too high for a fool.

very nice fabrics!
    Quilt outside of the box!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Or you could pull some others from your stash and add to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    I went to an estate sale on Friday, and picked up what looks like fabric that was matched for a project. I liked most of the fabrics in it, and figured I would see if I could come up with something that would look nice. It's about 1m of fabric total, and I'm a rank amateur quilter. (I usually tell people I'm an "almost has begun" quilter. My first quilt (an out of control lap quilt) is currently a UFO (awaiting binding), so I do need a relatively easy quilt block to try. Maybe something with half square triangles?
    Those don't -completely- terrify me... but should stretch my skill set.

I really enjoy FMQ, though I'm definitely "learning" at that too.

What would you do with these fabrics?

Attachment 402403
    The leafy purple/green/blue would get folded to lay beside me to get petted a few times a day!

All in all------great fabric choices.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

1 square meter in total?????????????? Or one meter in length and a bit more than one meter in width?

Yikes, that around 220 square inches or less than 15 x 15. (conversion system in brain out of order temporarily!)
    U N T I E

I would probably cut them into strips or squares and let them be used in a scrappy. If all together they only make about 1 meter, that is what I would do as I can't see it coming close enough to make a quilt top.

I see an art quilt, and probably a garden scene. The dark blue at the front is a stormy sky, the medium blue and yellow is the ground around the garden, the yellow/brown at the front is trees, the one with red and purple (back left) is fruit on the trees or could be garden produce, the dark brown is soil, cut outs of the bright yellow flowers or whatever are pinwheels or sunflowers at the side/back of the garden, and the leaves on the right are backing. You could back the fabric with fusibles and then cut out your areas with scissors and stick them on. Iron when you are satisfied. Do a sketch first.

Have you tried the HST method where you cut two matching squares, draw a diagonal line across and sew 1/4" away on both sides? Then you cut the square on the line you drew and you have two HST. I use this method all the time and get great HST's. http://www.treadleon.net/quiltshop/b...struction.html
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    That one would be a lot of bias work. I think I like the idea of the DP3 with that yellow in the little blocks.
    Would the Elmer's glue trick stabilize it enough to not completely frustrate a newbie? I'm leaning towards a D9P too (I think that's what you meant? I can't picture a 3 patch...

Quote Originally Posted by Shrink42020 View Post
    Yellow Brick road would be another nice pattern and the yellow would actually pull the quilt together; it is not a free pattern and $7.00 is the least expensive one that I can find!
    That's an interesting pattern isn't it? I may need more fabric than I have in this particular case though.

Quote Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
    Try pulling the top left fabric (dark red/maroon) away from the mix and see what it does for you.
    The one with all of the multicolored leaves on it?

Quote Originally Posted by mmb195152 View Post
    I could see some pretty pinwheels, but I am a very novice quilter myself. I would not include the yellow either. I'll be anxious to see what you come up with.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
    they are beautiful fabrics-but muted together except the yellow-it really pops
    I bet that was the original intention. I typically go for muted colors, I wanted to try to stretch my comfort zone a little.

Quote Originally Posted by kkdolls View Post
    Check out the Morning Star 2 pattern on quilterscache.com. This would be beautiful.
    Oh I like that! The step by step instructions don't hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
    With only a meter total, each of these is smaller than a fat quarter, right? You will not get even a generous lap quilt out of them without adding quite a bit of fabric. I think they will benefit from having one or two solid or mottled blender fabrics mixed in that will help to unify the quilt. If you like a modern look, a shadow box quilt would work well with the entire group (except maybe the intense yellow), using at least 2 blocks from each fabric, a dark gray or black for the shadows and an off white, beige or other very light color for the background. I found a post on this board that shows the basics of the design, but I think usually rectangles look better to me in this design than squares: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...w-t116628.html The first comment has a link to one that was done in rectangles. Have fun creating!

I'm editing to add a link to a video that shows one with mixed sizes, and also explains the process: http://vimeo.com/54613518
    You brought up a good point. I forgot to convert to yardage. Yes, it's only a little more than a yard (based on the estimate on the zip lock bag). I have several blenders (it's what I'm still allowed to buy this year, other than "used for a project immediately" and "FMQ practice" fabric) that may work, including a few batiks. I will see what I can dig up today and post as possible additions. I really like the idea of the shadow box. I've had that one earmarked as one of the quilts I'd like to tackle for a while. I also like attic windows as a more traditional style. Thanks!! I have watched the video, and it looks "doable" for a newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by MargeD View Post
    I'd suggest a D9P, however, I don't think I would use all the fabrics shown. I like the purple/green leaf batik, the blue and the mottled blue/yellow, but that's just my preference and I'd use it with a soft blue or green, or possibly a white or cream. I've used batiks and "regular" cotton quilting fabric and since I almost always prewash my fabric, bleeding shouldn't be a problem. The batiks are just slightly heavier than most cotton fabrics and since I don't hand quilt, the higher thread count isn't a problem.
    Those are my 3 favorites as well. I think I'd have to do a blue or a green add in that case, because the light colors, with a dog and 2 cats don't stay light very long. Since the quilt I'm working on at the moment has already been claimed, I expect this one to be as well. I guess at my core, I'm a realist.

Quote Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
    I also think that with only a m. total you will have to add a lot of fabric unless you are doing a mini. So in that case, I would pull both the bright yellow and the burgandy leaf fabrics as they are so much brighter than the softer batik look of the other fabrics.
    If you can find enough blenders to go with them then I think the D9P would work great. Otherwise, I would go for the shadowbox as these are lovely fabrics and would do well showcased.
    Do you think a mini might have been what would have been originally intended? 1m (a little more than a yard) is a rather small amount of fabric.

The two blocks you mentioned are definitely what I'm leaning toward.

Quote Originally Posted by Material Witness View Post
    Agreed, the ferns at the bottom left don't match at all, you should send them to me...

Love 'em!
    LOL! I just might if I can't get them to work in this quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    The leafy purple/green/blue would get folded to lay beside me to get petted a few times a day!

All in all------great fabric choices.
    LOL! I really like that one too. I can't take credit for the fabric choices, only for choosing the "package" out of a stack of others. I would have loved to see some of this lady's finished quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    1 square meter in total?????????????? Or one meter in length and a bit more than one meter in width?

Yikes, that around 220 square inches or less than 15 x 15. (conversion system in brain out of order temporarily!)
    My guess is 1m in length. They were selling fabric at the sale based on the cut length of the fabric, and this bag said "approx 1m"

I will lay it out shortly and see if I can get a better estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    I would probably cut them into strips or squares and let them be used in a scrappy. If all together they only make about 1 meter, that is what I would do as I can't see it coming close enough to make a quilt top.
    I'm certainly not adverse to adding fabric. I"d also love a lap quilt that stays lap sized. My first one ended up more than 60" on each side. Oops. I guess I should have stopped adding rows earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
    I see an art quilt, and probably a garden scene. The dark blue at the front is a stormy sky, the medium blue and yellow is the ground around the garden, the yellow/brown at the front is trees, the one with red and purple (back left) is fruit on the trees or could be garden produce, the dark brown is soil, cut outs of the bright yellow flowers or whatever are pinwheels or sunflowers at the side/back of the garden, and the leaves on the right are backing. You could back the fabric with fusibles and then cut out your areas with scissors and stick them on. Iron when you are satisfied. Do a sketch first.
    Oh I really like that idea! Would it be applique'd on or stitched a little in and allowed to fray or would I create 1/4? seams after I laid it out?? Is this beginner stuff? Or am I better off not knowing that I'm trying something that stretches my wings more than I'd planned?

Quote Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
    Have you tried the HST method where you cut two matching squares, draw a diagonal line across and sew 1/4" away on both sides? Then you cut the square on the line you drew and you have two HST. I use this method all the time and get great HST's. http://www.treadleon.net/quiltshop/b...struction.html
    I haven't tried any HST yet, but that looks like a nice easy method. I will try that sometime soon, even if I don't use it for this project. I did pick up one of the Quick Quarter 2 rulers, and I'm looking forward to that helping me keep my crooked lines equi-distant.

I totally love the landscape idea! You have plenty of fabric for that and you will have a lovely wall hanging when you are done. I'm working on my first one, but it's on hold right now.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

You have the beginnings of a great French Braid.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I totally love the landscape idea! You have plenty of fabric for that and you will have a lovely wall hanging when you are done. I'm working on my first one, but it's on hold right now.
    Isn't that funny. I hadn't even considered the wall hanging angle. I'm so glad I started this thread. I have seen so many things and ideas I didn't realise were out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
    You have the beginnings of a great French Braid.
    Oh those are gorgeous! I'd never seen one of those before, but the goggle images search showed me so many beautiful ones. Thanks for this idea!

I would probably set aside the yellow and the red flower fabrics for another project. Check out 'Quilter's Cache' website for thousands of block patterns that are rated by difficulty.
    To QUILT is human.
    To FINISH is divine.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...4369F3FA17.png

Post a photo when you get a quilt done, I'd love to see what you decided.
    Bernina 640, Singer 201-3, Singer Centennial 15-91, Tin Lizzie 26" long arm

I like the idea of a sampler quilt with each block different. It would give you a chance to try several different ones and grow. When I learned to quilt we did a 6 block sampler, each block was a different technique. We had a basket, a log cabin (4 smaller one put together to make a 12" block), applique, reverse applique, a curved one(I did rob peter to pay paul using a drunkard path template), and it was either a block with a "y" seam or a star block, (I did lemoyne star). With each one you will learn something new. You can choose a variety that you feel comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingnonie View Post
    I would probably set aside the yellow and the red flower fabrics for another project. Check out 'Quilter's Cache' website for thousands of block patterns that are rated by difficulty.
    I spent a heck of a lot of time on that site picking out stuff I liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
    Post a photo when you get a quilt done, I'd love to see what you decided.
    Definitely. I have my head terribly full of blocks and ideas you've all so generously offered, so I think the next thing to do is determine what I can do with this much fabric and find what coordinates, preferably in my stash already.

I did the math tonight, there's 11.09 sqft of fabric in that package with all the numbers rounded down, ie 12.4" became 12" for the calculations. That's just shy of a lineal meter x roughly 42"

Quote Originally Posted by starshine View Post
    I like the idea of a sampler quilt with each block different. It would give you a chance to try several different ones and grow. When I learned to quilt we did a 6 block sampler, each block was a different technique. We had a basket, a log cabin (4 smaller one put together to make a 12" block), applique, reverse applique, a curved one(I did rob peter to pay paul using a drunkard path template), and it was either a block with a "y" seam or a star block, (I did lemoyne star). With each one you will learn something new. You can choose a variety that you feel comfortable with.
    That sounds great too! about 6 months ago I spent some time going through a book of blocks and picked out about a dozen I'd like to make in a sampler. I wonder how many would work with these fabrics...
    *wanders off to go find that list*

I'll pull out some of the blenders I have tomorrow and see if I have any great matches to supplement.

Ok,.. these are the fabrics I think can work with the fabrics, or some of them.

With the original fabrics:
    Name:  IMG_5340.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  114.7 KB

The three of them on their own:

Name:  IMG_5339.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  109.1 KB

The one on the left is another one I acquired from the Estate Sale. The one on the right seems too "literal" to me to match the batiks alone, though maybe cut into smaller pieces it wouldn't be an issue. The one in the middle is my favorite.

I'd love to hear what thoughts these three "blenders" bring about.

And I guess for the sake of non-censorship, this is the sum total of my entire quilting cotton stash (the big fleece kitties and craft sized batting not withstanding)

Name:  IMG_5346.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  99.5 KB
    Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 03-20-2013 at 11:51 AM.

I think your fabrics all work wonderfully. There is enough "literalness" in some of the other fabrics, such as the ferns, to blend with yours and the colors are great!!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I vote that you send it to me and I will figure something out!! Seriously, those are pretty fabrics.

I think your fabrics all work wonderfully. There is enough "literalness" in some of the other fabrics, such as the ferns, to blend with yours and the colors are great!!
    You know, I put the ferns right on top of the green literal one, and it doesn't look bad at all. I don't think I "See" these things naturally. Maybe with more practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter 65 View Post
    I vote that you send it to me and I will figure something out!! Seriously, those are pretty fabrics.
    LOL! It's nice to see that people don't think "Ugh! What poor taste" It's a good start.

I saw this today from a link someone posted here:
    http://www.fonsandporter.com/article...squares_quilts
    This looks like a great size for the "small" amount of some of the fabrics I have...

I'd remove bright multi-color on black and then have a picnic with the others. That one piece might work well as a narrow border, but not much more. That's my preference of course.
    Don't think you could go very wrong with your choices.
    U N T I E

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2