Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric storage...plastic bins or folded on the shelf? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-storage-plastic-bins-folded-shelf-t215945.html)

Chester the bunny 03-09-2013 06:35 PM

Fabric storage...plastic bins or folded on the shelf?

I have been reading about some of you folding your fabric and placing on a shelf so that you can see what you have. I would be concerned about the fold fading from the light. Am I wrong? Do you have the fabric behind a sheet or doors? On the other hand..are the plastic "fumes" in my rubbermaids going to damage my fabric.
I only ask because I have enough fabric to last 58 years.

Carole

Cybrarian 03-09-2013 07:01 PM

Right now plastic storage boxes are my only choice as I have a built in cupboard. Shelves are too deep. I've seen some amazing shelf storage some board members are blessed with though!

vondae 03-09-2013 07:07 PM

Your stash sounds like some place I'd like to come & play. HeeHee. I keep all my good cotton quilting fabric in cabinets behind closed doors. I don't want it to fade either. The fleece, flannel, velvet, etc. I keep in plastic bins. I'm not sure about long term storage in them. I will be curious to see what others will have to say.

Prism99 03-09-2013 07:27 PM

Hard plastic bins do not outgas, so are safe for fabric storage. You just want to be sure they are not so airtight that moisture becomes trapped inside; a little air circulation is good. Some of my fabric has been in bins for years with no damage, so I don't think moisture is a problem in my area. Quilters who live in highly humid areas may want to drill holes in their plastic bins so there is a little more air circulation in them.

omgtimmcgraw 03-09-2013 07:31 PM

I use both

auntpiggylpn 03-09-2013 07:33 PM

I have my fabrics on bookcases. The room only has 1 window and the cases are on the same wall as the window. I don't open the blind in that room very often as I would be looking at the neighbors house up close. If I do open it it is only open while I am in there.

pocoellie 03-09-2013 07:36 PM

All my quilting fabric, with the exception of my flannels, which I don't use very often, are 4" ruler folded, and put into drawers by background color, I lay the folded fabrics on their side, so I can see exactly what I've got in the drawers. You only have enough fabric to last you 58 years? I probably have enough for 100 years. LOL

Mariposa 03-09-2013 07:39 PM

I keep most of mine in plastic tubs. I have big south and east facing windows in my sewing room.

ghostrider 03-09-2013 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 5917680)
Quilters who live in highly humid areas may want to drill holes in their plastic bins so there is a little more air circulation in them.

I toss a dessicant packet into my fabric bins, the kind that come with electronics, shoes, and lots of stuff. Some people use the small ones that come with some medications, too.

I have no available wall space and no closet in my studio, plus I live on a dirt road. Bins are the only option for me so it's a good thing I like them better than shelves. I use relatively small ones, the clear 27 quart size.

slk350 03-09-2013 08:37 PM

58 years ?? Ummm...You got it down to a science. I have mine stored in plastic storage containers and kept them in a closet. I added 3 extra shelves under the clothes rod shelf. I can store 16 large containers and 4 that are shorter in height. They are clear so I can see inside.