Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Finishing one top before starting another? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/finishing-one-top-before-starting-another-t133132.html)

nannyrick 06-25-2011 03:38 PM

Do you all finish one quilt top before starting another?
I have been jumping around because I,m anxious to see what the next one will look like.
I,m a newbie and I want to try so many blocks out.
Should I be doing this?

Jennifer22206 06-25-2011 03:40 PM

I jump around. Then again, I work with insanely tiny pieces most of the time and need a break from one. I've got a Dear Jane, Nearly Insane, Midget Blocks, GFG and a 3/8" hexagons going on. So I do throw in some larger projects that are a "quick" finish comparatively speaking.

Raggiemom 06-25-2011 03:41 PM

Oh, I have many WIPs (works in process). I never have just one project!

Mamawcj 06-25-2011 03:42 PM

There are no Quilt Police, so you csn do whatever you want to. Why don't you make a sampler quilt? I did that several years ago and I really liked it.

Shelbie 06-25-2011 03:45 PM

It's whatever works for you, however starting many projects may lead to lots of PIGS or UFO's. I've always loved to make tops and my top production greatly outpaced my ability to get them quilted. As a result I now have two very large bins (and there's more in smaller boxes) that are not finished. My goal since January has been to finish a quilt a month and right now I am quilting #6! Is my bin empty? Absolutely not, although the lid closes more easily now. My machine quilting is greatly improving and family members are getting new quilts but I'm not nearly finished.

katier825 06-25-2011 03:46 PM

I frequently have multiple projects going. I only have a very small area to sew, and when it comes to the quilting part, I need to rearrange the dining room and work there...which means I need to dismantle for meals. It's a pain, so when I set up, I do whatever quilting I can. During the week I do my piecing in my tiny area in the bedroom. It just works better for me that way.

SparkMonkey 06-25-2011 03:48 PM

I agree with a sampler quilt. Just make sure the blocks are the same size, and I'd assemble them with sashing to prevent them from fighting for attention. Samplers of all sorts of crafts were traditionally done to develop skills! :)

ETA: I always complete an entire quilt before starting another. When I need a break from a project, I have knitting or needlework I can do.

just_the_scraps_m'am 06-25-2011 03:49 PM

feel free!!!

ontheriver 06-25-2011 03:52 PM

Were you supposed to? guess I break those rules.

just_the_scraps_m'am 06-25-2011 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by nannyrick.com
Do you all finish one quilt top before starting another?
I have been jumping around because I,m anxious to see what the next one will look like.
I,m a newbie and I want to try so many blocks out.
Should I be doing this?

we just tack another name on it--it's called making a "sampler" quilt! you're just sampling all the blocks, that's all! LOL