Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Finishing one top before starting another?

Do you all finish one quilt top before starting another?
    I have been jumping around because I,m anxious to see what the next one will look like.
    I,m a newbie and I want to try so many blocks out.
    Should I be doing this?

Blog Entries
    I jump around. Then again, I work with insanely tiny pieces most of the time and need a break from one. I've got a Dear Jane, Nearly Insane, Midget Blocks, GFG and a 3/8" hexagons going on. So I do throw in some larger projects that are a "quick" finish comparatively speaking.

Oh, I have many WIPs (works in process). I never have just one project!

Blog Entries
    There are no Quilt Police, so you csn do whatever you want to. Why don't you make a sampler quilt? I did that several years ago and I really liked it.

It's whatever works for you, however starting many projects may lead to lots of PIGS or UFO's. I've always loved to make tops and my top production greatly outpaced my ability to get them quilted. As a result I now have two very large bins (and there's more in smaller boxes) that are not finished. My goal since January has been to finish a quilt a month and right now I am quilting #6! Is my bin empty? Absolutely not, although the lid closes more easily now. My machine quilting is greatly improving and family members are getting new quilts but I'm not nearly finished.

Blog Entries
    I frequently have multiple projects going. I only have a very small area to sew, and when it comes to the quilting part, I need to rearrange the dining room and work there...which means I need to dismantle for meals. It's a pain, so when I set up, I do whatever quilting I can. During the week I do my piecing in my tiny area in the bedroom. It just works better for me that way.

I agree with a sampler quilt. Just make sure the blocks are the same size, and I'd assemble them with sashing to prevent them from fighting for attention. Samplers of all sorts of crafts were traditionally done to develop skills! :)

ETA: I always complete an entire quilt before starting another. When I need a break from a project, I have knitting or needlework I can do.

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    feel free!!!

Were you supposed to? guess I break those rules.

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nannyrick.com
    Do you all finish one quilt top before starting another?
    I have been jumping around because I,m anxious to see what the next one will look like.
    I,m a newbie and I want to try so many blocks out.
    Should I be doing this?
    we just tack another name on it--it's called making a "sampler" quilt! you're just sampling all the blocks, that's all! LOL

I typically work on just one , otherwise I would never go back and finish. But sometimes if its a particularly tedious one .. I need to break it up and make something I can complete in a single night.

When I first got started - less than a year ago - I pieced tops like crazy. That's the part I like the best. So I ended up with 10 or so pieced tops and had finsihed very few quilts. Then I needed graduation gifts so about half of those got finished.

Now I try to pull out one UFO between other projects and am gradually making progress. But... I have 3 tops I'm currently working on - all got stopped when something more interesting came along. There are about 5 pieced tops that need to be finished. Right now I don't have any deadlines for anything so I'm trying to ignore the kits and jelly rolls and projects I've pulled together that are calling my name and MAKING myself finish those tops.

My dear friend totally finishes one project before going on to another. That works for her, but ... not so much for me!

Blog Entries
    I have lots of UFO's for the same reason. If I may suggest, try doing a sample block quilt. Lots of different blocks in coordinating colors so at least you would have tried different blocks and can finish them into one quilt.
    Have fun and keep on stitching!
    peace :D

I have many quilts in all stages of completion. Wish I didn't have so many!

Blog Entries
    Jumping from quilt project to quilt project seems to be the only exercise I get some days. lol

I work on one project at a time, seems to be easier for me that way.

Thank you all for your input. Now I don't feel so bad.
    That Sampler sounds great.
    I never knew about those. Will try it tho.

are you having fun? Then you are doing just fine ;-)

I jump around with my projects...but then I'll read 4 different books at the same time for variety too.

That's what keeps it exciting for me.

I always have multiple projects going. Actually, I just saw a great suggestion on a frame quilting mailing list I'm on: one of the ladies doesn't finish her quilts as she goes. Since frame quilting is definitely a skill that needs to be continually practiced, she waits until she has 8-10 tops ready to be quilted and then does them all in a 2-3 week time span. She'll start with one of her charity quilts to 'warm up', then do the quilts from smallest to largest.

I jump around,too. I usually have at least three quilts going at the same time but in different stages and using different techniques. I have an BOM that I'm doing needle turn applique, one that I'm FMQing, a star quilt that I'm machine piecing, and a wall hanging that I'm hand quilting.

I tend to start one and finish it (I've only been quilting since August) until recently. I had started a quilt top and finished the top only to find out I didn't have enough batting and I wanted to hand quilt it. The only problem was, I've never hand quilted anything before. So I made a smaller quilt that would fit with the piece of batting I have and practiced on that one. So, still don't have batting and the sewing machine needle has broken so now I'm hand piecing a quilt. That and I'm quilting one for my mom. So I currently have 3 going unless you count the circle jean quilt I started cutting pieces for and realized I didn't have enough so stuffed it in a bag knowing I'd like to finish it one day.

But jump around if you want! You could always make a sampler like others are suggesting, or if the colors work together, you could do one like this one

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-132966-1.htm

then you don't have to worry about sashing, just make sure they're all the same size

Blog Entries
    I'm a jumper!

I try to get one done before starting another. Sometimes i don't have batting or a backing ready so I set the top aside and start another. then i will finish 2 or 3 tops when i get another supply of batting.

Blog Entries
    I try not to get too many going at the same time because I KNOW then I'll have trouble getting them finished - ever. So I do have one or two small projects that I play with between big projects, but I usually finish one quilt before I start another.

Blog Entries
    I get bored easy, Just finished my tablecloth, have an applique quilt, one to embroider, and a piece quilt going

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast