Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do YOU: Finish THIS one ... before starting THAT one????

Do YOU: Finish THIS one ... before starting THAT one????

I have just finished two rag quilts (sooo easy); and am in the process of another rag quilt for my new granddaughter ....

but, but, but, I keep thinking of ALL the patterns I want to make!!! And techniques I need/want to learn (like *how to finish* a quilt, instead of making ALL rag quilts!!) lol

And in my other hobbies: counted cross stitch, knitting ~ oh, especially knitting. Have sooo many unfinished projects, it's not even funny A few pair of socks .... tops, etc. I think the only knitted items that ever got finished were a few shawls.

So, I am hoping to do: One Quilt At A Time!!!! So they WILL get done and not stored somewhere to be finished later (and sometimes, later, NEVER comes).

So, do YOU have multi projects going??? And, if so, do you ever go back and finish them???

Just curious I guess!!! And so hoping NOT to have unfinished quilts all over the place

jody

I myself always have 20 or so projects going on at one time. I love to multitask between them. I do get all of them finished, it is just that I have to have variety in my sewing life. I sometimes get confused between them but it all works out in the end and I am never bored. I hide my piles so I can't see them and I feel no pressure unless I tell someone I am going to do something for them. Then I feel pressure to get them done. To make quilts to sell I don't have pressure cause it gets done when it gets done.
    Life is Good!

Visit my blog, closed the website:

http://charlottescreationsanew.blogspot.com/

i have at least 20 - 30 going now i like the variety and i get them all done some time.

I'm a finisher. I want to see each project to completion. I find it much harder deciding which project to start next.

Blog Entries
    I have many projects going. I do quilt demos and have projects in every stage of construction. With every demo I am closer to finishing a project. LOL
    Got fabric?

I have several UFO's and many things I want to make in addition to all the things I have to make. Over the last couple of years I have tried to finish a UFO before I go on to make the things I want to - usually works out to 1 UFO completed then 2-3 others, then 1 UFO, then 2-3 others. I am really trying to finish all those things I have started.

I have too many UFOs. I am making an effort to finish them before I start something new. There is always going to be something new I want to do. But I want to get these quilts done first. Before they recipients grow up or the fabric begins to look dated. LOL

Blog Entries
    I try to finish, at least to the point of just having to quilt it. I have 2 waiting and am making another top. I'm in charge of charity quilts at my guild so I see how many tops get passed on to me because they have sat for years!! Good for the charity! Not so great for the quilters that start and have so much time & money in them. I think its' very individual but I get overwhelmed with more than 2 or 3 going
    Patski
    always learning

I have two quilts and one table topper in the works, promised myself to get them done before going on to others, I take a breather if I bored, then I begin to want to get them done.

I'm bad to start projects and not finish them in a timely manner... I'm juggling several at a time right now....

I used to be a finisher. Now, not so much since I retired and have all this time - go figure! I pieced about six different quilts with no particular person in mind. Now I'm trying to play catch up and match tops for friends' birthdays. HATE basting but do enjoy handquilting. I do much better under pressure.

Haven't knitted since last winter and am not sure I can even pick up where I left off last.

My best advice is, if you aren't enjoying the currant process of making a quilt and unless you have a deadline, just step away from it. However, and this is a big one, leave the project at a good stopping point, gather all of it into a large bag or something and make sure you leave some specific notes, even if you are certain you have it committed to memory.

Power Poster
    I try to keep my UFO's to about 10. Any more than that and I start to feel UFO pressure. A couple of years ago when I cleaned my sewing area, anything that I knew I didn't want to finish, I put into zip lock bags with the instructions and sent them to the charity shop. What a weight off my shoulder that was so I keep them down to a manageable level now.

short answer, nope.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I just don't worry about it. I enjoy the piecing process, so that's what I've been doing, lately. Recently, I've put together several Warm Wishes lap-sized tops. They're quick and it's fun to see how different fabrics look, together. It's not as if I'll be giving them all to one person, so who cares if they're all the same pattern? Eventually, I'll be in the mood to go back and finish them. Hopefully, I'll get into that mood before Christmas!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    I usually have 4 or 5 projects in various stages of progress. One is hand quilting and another is English paper piecing while I have maybe 2 projects to piece on depending on my mood. I do have several projects Mom gave me when she closed down her sewing room that are waiting to be finished. If one chooses to have several things going ( I knit, too) it is a balancing act!
    Judith

It's so much fun to start a new project.............so, I have many in the works. I really do get them finished in the end. It may take awhile! But, I'm in no hurry. I'm just enjoying the ride.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    Recently, I've put together several Warm Wishes lap-sized tops. They're quick and it's fun to see how different fabrics look, together. It's not as if I'll be giving them all to one person, so who cares if they're all the same pattern?
    I have Warm Wishes on my Want to Do list. I love the idea of them!
    Judith

I have a couple of projects concurrently. I would rather not call them UFOs, but WIPs. Sometimes certain elements are lacking - the right shade of fabric, or inspiration.
    What I've learnt is that once the optimum conditions are not there, I will not force myself to complete a quilt. If not, it will always end up a disaster, and lots of unsewing, waste of time and fabric.
    So, I'd rather wait for the right window. When that time comes, it would be like pleasant surprise!
    Question is - how do I make sure the WIPs don't get out of control, and I end up with permanent WIPs?
    I make sure I really like a design before I start on it. If I am not 100% passionate about a design, I won't work on it. Afterall, I don't do that many a year.
    My 2c worth

I always have multiple projects going, and when I make something I usually make 2 because I get bored with one color scheme or print really fast. Right now I'm finishing up a table runner, a bed runner, and 2 purses. I also read more than one book at a time, I have one in my car and one on my bedroom nightstand. And for long trips I have my hand embroidery pillowcases that I take and work on, I finish a pair about every 10 years. I think the more projects we having going, the more interesting we are!
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Blog Entries
    i always have multiple projects/quilt going on at the same time- and seldom have one become a *UfO*- they do get done...sometimes i will have 5 or 6 come together about the same time & people here think it's crazy- that i will all of a sudden show half a dozen quilts --- i work on them bits at a time - here & there- then suddenly they reach this point where they just are ready to come together---and they go together pretty quickly- then i plan a weekend (or a week) of quilting time- sometime managing to quilt 2 or even 3 in one day- i seldom manage to work on one quilt- start to finish with nothing else...unless its something small- like a table runner-
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I usually have several different projects in various stages that I'm working on. That's the just way I roll! But everyone is different and likes to approach UFOs in their own fashion. You have to do what works for you.
    Heather

I am in the middle of about 20 also..its not that I dont finish, but I see a block of the month or a mystery quilt and have to join then ,,,so they all get finished eventually . I made a new years resolution to finish one a month and so far Ive done at least that, I have so many patterns and kits that I am waiting to do but I am really trying to get these UFOs done...
    Long Arm Quilter and Fabriholic.
    Life cant get any better than that.

Blog Entries
    Don't we all? I am sitting here looking at at least six started projects, just on my table alone. I think it is a sickness most of us have. There is just too much we want to try.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

I have many tops waiting to be quilted and many which are still in pieces. Over the past couple of years I've participated in various UFO challenges to try and get the # recognizable (today it stands at 36 still piecing and 34 tops needing quilted). Last year was good year for finishes and most of what I started either was completely finished or at least became a top.

This year, I'm not doing as well, but I am conscience of what I'm starting. I'm doing my best to not start a quilt unless I have the time to complete it before needing to finish something else for a deadline.

Last week I laid out my quilting goals for the rest of the year. It included 'allowing' myself to start a new quilt at the fall quilt retreat.

I'm a finisher. Oh, I get distracted by other blocks/patterns, but since most of what I make I give away, I generally have a deadline - birth, birthday, or graduation. Plus, if I stop, will I ever go back to it?

Tate
    King of the Rocketeers!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast