Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do YOU: Finish THIS one ... before starting THAT one???? >

Do YOU: Finish THIS one ... before starting THAT one????

Do YOU: Finish THIS one ... before starting THAT one????

Old 08-07-2012, 12:22 PM

I usually have several different projects in various stages that I'm working on. That's the just way I roll! But everyone is different and likes to approach UFOs in their own fashion. You have to do what works for you.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:49 PM

I am in the middle of about 20 also..its not that I dont finish, but I see a block of the month or a mystery quilt and have to join then ,,,so they all get finished eventually . I made a new years resolution to finish one a month and so far Ive done at least that, I have so many patterns and kits that I am waiting to do but I am really trying to get these UFOs done...
Old 08-07-2012, 01:02 PM

Don't we all? I am sitting here looking at at least six started projects, just on my table alone. I think it is a sickness most of us have. There is just too much we want to try.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:04 PM

I have many tops waiting to be quilted and many which are still in pieces. Over the past couple of years I've participated in various UFO challenges to try and get the # recognizable (today it stands at 36 still piecing and 34 tops needing quilted). Last year was good year for finishes and most of what I started either was completely finished or at least became a top.

This year, I'm not doing as well, but I am conscience of what I'm starting. I'm doing my best to not start a quilt unless I have the time to complete it before needing to finish something else for a deadline.

Last week I laid out my quilting goals for the rest of the year. It included 'allowing' myself to start a new quilt at the fall quilt retreat.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:07 PM

I'm a finisher. Oh, I get distracted by other blocks/patterns, but since most of what I make I give away, I generally have a deadline - birth, birthday, or graduation. Plus, if I stop, will I ever go back to it?

Tate
Old 08-07-2012, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by lindy-2 View Post
i have at least 20 - 30 going now i like the variety and i get them all done some time.
Same here. I spend time cutting several, then sewing several, then pinning, quilting, etc. unless I have a deadline on one in particular. I have a large special table top DH made to go over my sewing table when I am sandwiching and pinning that takes up a lot of space. I also need help to get it up there, so when I do, I want to have several to pin while it is on the table. I do a lot of mass cutting and sewing too, kind of assembly line style. For me, it works, especially if I am working on a project with less than favorable prints or patterns.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:23 PM

I am new at this (relatively) but I found I needed to have different parts going at the same time so that I wouldn't get bored. Right now, I am hand quilting six Christmas runners that I pieced together while I was finishing up a Lone Star and while it was out at the Long Arm Quilter, I began working on the Fall Quilt that had come back from the Long Arm Quilter and needed the binding. Now, I am ironing the material and planning the cutting for a 1930's style quilt. I am not bored and I try to make sure that I have something different to work on each day. Lovin' it. Plus I get to check out the Board here to see what everyone else is doing. Oh, yes, we finally got rain here in Ohio and so this morning I was out on the tractor assisting the DH with the mowing. No boredom in this retirement.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by tate_elliott View Post
I'm a finisher. Oh, I get distracted by other blocks/patterns, but since most of what I make I give away, I generally have a deadline - birth, birthday, or graduation. Plus, if I stop, will I ever go back to it?

Tate
I'm a finisher - one quilt at a time. I send my tops out to a Mennonite gentleman - yes a fella - for LAQ. While he's quilting I prepare the binding and finish things off and begin my next scrap quilt. Have a few side projects in the wings but just 1 quilt at a time.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:57 PM

Oh, Yes, those UFO! I am a rank amateur, and I have three different quilts started (on two, just the cutting is done), but if I start any more, I will begin to feel overwhelmed. I do enjoy the quilts, but I have some things going on that I'm involved in that I need to become uninvolved in. That's my problem. I still need to learn how to say NO more often!

Jeanette Frantz
Old 08-07-2012, 02:04 PM

I have many piecing projects going at one time. But the most I have are the ones that I need to quilt. I have a quilt frame plus an 830 to do the quilting but haven't gotten up the nerve to try it. I guess what I'm going to have to do is just do it!!!

Pat in MN