Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any Tips Before Starting a Bargello pattern??? >

Any Tips Before Starting a Bargello pattern???

Any Tips Before Starting a Bargello pattern???

Old 01-16-2012, 05:30 AM

Default Any Tips Before Starting a Bargello pattern???

I've always admired a Bargello so bought a pattern and received my fabric Saturday. I've read the instructions and sort of understand what they're saying but will read again before actually starting. Are there any tips I should know about before starting this project? Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:52 AM

I'll be watching this post as I'd like to try a Bargello someday.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:58 AM

Ms. Kim S. I am also doing a bargello for the first time. I finally (thought) I understood the directions---but did not understand why I did. My friend helped me w/directions (still the same story) so I dived in have my strips sewn together. You can always go to the LQS and ask for help.

Lana
the Quilting Dreamer
Lansing, MI visiting in Leander, TX at the moment
Old 01-16-2012, 06:01 AM

Ops! should have added, I am doing the Bargello by piecemakers. The
colors are lime greens to purple, 10 different fabrics. I love the picture
of your home it is beautiful.
Lana
Old 01-16-2012, 06:15 AM

I recently finished a bargello and had a great time during the process. I, like you, read the instructions twice and still wasn't sure I understood them correctly. It wasn't until I was actually halfway done before the lightbulb clicked and I knew what was going on! LOL There are several tips that I can give to help you with the pattern/construction of your bargello. When you have your fabrics in the order you want them, take a picture....it may show a fabric that needs to be in a different position. After you get your fabrics in the order that works best, take a small scrap of each, number each just like the pattern calls for, and then post it where you can see easily (I cut a horizontal strip from a vertical strip set and tacked it on the wall right in front of sewing machine), you will refer back to this "fabric map" often. Use a smaller stitch length when sewing the strips and it will lessen the amount of stitches pulled loose with all the small pieces. When sewing your long strips, mark the first end you start with, then alternate the ends as this will help prevent bowing of your strip sets and they will lay flatter. When you start cutting strips to sew for the top, you have to stay organized. Since I am not, I only cut a few at a time, sewed them onto the top, and then cut a few more. If you choose to cut them all, you have to mark/separate/bag or whatever works for you. As you add rows to the quilt top, go back and sew along the edge to keep the seams from pulling loose. These are most of the ones that I have either learned on this board or just from experience. I can tell you that it really isn't as hard as it looks and you will surprise yourself at how fast it goes together! Good Luck!
Old 01-16-2012, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Dreamer View Post
Ops! should have added, I am doing the Bargello by piecemakers. The
colors are lime greens to purple, 10 different fabrics. I love the picture
of your home it is beautiful.
Lana
The Bargello has 24 different fabrics. Maybe should have started with one that didn't have so many. It's called Spiral Burst. Very pretty!! My avatar isn't a picture of my home but my dream home. I love, love, love the old farm houses and maybe someday I'll have one.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
I recently finished a bargello and had a great time during the process. I, like you, read the instructions twice and still wasn't sure I understood them correctly. It wasn't until I was actually halfway done before the lightbulb clicked and I knew what was going on! LOL There are several tips that I can give to help you with the pattern/construction of your bargello. When you have your fabrics in the order you want them, take a picture....it may show a fabric that needs to be in a different position. After you get your fabrics in the order that works best, take a small scrap of each, number each just like the pattern calls for, and then post it where you can see easily (I cut a horizontal strip from a vertical strip set and tacked it on the wall right in front of sewing machine), you will refer back to this "fabric map" often. Use a smaller stitch length when sewing the strips and it will lessen the amount of stitches pulled loose with all the small pieces. When sewing your long strips, mark the first end you start with, then alternate the ends as this will help prevent bowing of your strip sets and they will lay flatter. When you start cutting strips to sew for the top, you have to stay organized. Since I am not, I only cut a few at a time, sewed them onto the top, and then cut a few more. If you choose to cut them all, you have to mark/separate/bag or whatever works for you. As you add rows to the quilt top, go back and sew along the edge to keep the seams from pulling loose. These are most of the ones that I have either learned on this board or just from experience. I can tell you that it really isn't as hard as it looks and you will surprise yourself at how fast it goes together! Good Luck!
I really like your idea of taking a picture of the fabric. Like you, I'll only be able to cut a few strips at a time when it comes time to put them together. I'm not organized either. LOL!! I'm a little intimidated by all the small pieces but there's only one way to overcome that. Just jump in! Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Last edited by KimS; 01-16-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:58 AM

[QUOTE=Quilting Dreamer;4879354]Ms. Kim S. I am also doing a bargello for the first time. I finally (thought) I understood the directions---but did not understand why I did. My friend helped me w/directions (still the same story) so I dived in have my strips sewn together. You can always go to the LQS and ask for help.

You don't know how badly I wish I had a LQS. The nearest is 1 1/2 hours away.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:04 AM

Just to add to buck eye rose, once I got all my strips sewn together and then made the tube, as I cut them I put them into the order they where to be sewn to get my design on the design board. I read and reread the instructions then opted to make my own design on graft paper. That one I could understand. Have made 4 of them now and love it.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:07 AM

I just made my 1st bargello quilt about 6 mths ago. They had a pattern on line that showed a basic one. It was all made with 4 in blocks, much easier, it came out beautiful. I enjoyed making it.