Old 01-16-2012, 06:15 AM
Buckeye Rose

I recently finished a bargello and had a great time during the process. I, like you, read the instructions twice and still wasn't sure I understood them correctly. It wasn't until I was actually halfway done before the lightbulb clicked and I knew what was going on! LOL There are several tips that I can give to help you with the pattern/construction of your bargello. When you have your fabrics in the order you want them, take a picture....it may show a fabric that needs to be in a different position. After you get your fabrics in the order that works best, take a small scrap of each, number each just like the pattern calls for, and then post it where you can see easily (I cut a horizontal strip from a vertical strip set and tacked it on the wall right in front of sewing machine), you will refer back to this "fabric map" often. Use a smaller stitch length when sewing the strips and it will lessen the amount of stitches pulled loose with all the small pieces. When sewing your long strips, mark the first end you start with, then alternate the ends as this will help prevent bowing of your strip sets and they will lay flatter. When you start cutting strips to sew for the top, you have to stay organized. Since I am not, I only cut a few at a time, sewed them onto the top, and then cut a few more. If you choose to cut them all, you have to mark/separate/bag or whatever works for you. As you add rows to the quilt top, go back and sew along the edge to keep the seams from pulling loose. These are most of the ones that I have either learned on this board or just from experience. I can tell you that it really isn't as hard as it looks and you will surprise yourself at how fast it goes together! Good Luck!