Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   good quilting magazine ??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/good-quilting-magazine-t1464.html)

Knot Sew 07-18-2007 07:17 AM

I was buying a mag now and then when i had a few dollars,but you can order some nice books cheap at edward R Hamilton bookseller. But if I did order a magazine it would be McCalls. It all depends on what kind 0f quilting you do on what you select. It is so fun spending birthday money on yourself. Have fun, :D :D :D and happy belated birthday.

Marybeth 07-18-2007 11:22 AM

Thanks for all the good info :D :D :D

I think what I will do is buy a copy of 3 or 4 of the most recommended at Wal-Mart and then see if that narrows it down.

I don't think I have been quilting long enough to know what kind of quilter I am :roll: a happy one mostly, perhaps eclectic, lol .

Marybeth

Catherine 07-18-2007 11:35 AM

My favorite, so far is McCall's Quick Quilts and Fons&Porter's love of QUILTING

quiltmaker101 07-18-2007 12:48 PM

I subscribe to McCalls and Quilt magazines. I love them. I used to get Better Homes and Gardens American Patchwork and Quilting, but had trouble with the directions being incorrect a few times.
I also love to get Fabric Trends, which comes out only 4 times a year. Great peeks at upcoming fabric lines and nice quilt ideas made up from them.

N.J.linda 07-18-2007 06:41 PM

fons & porters gets my vote!! You should go to a Borders book store and brows the quilt magazines, it's a great rainy day treat.

Flying_V_Goddess 07-18-2007 07:02 PM

I don't really have a favorite yet all the quilting magazines I have are either Quilter's World or Quilting Magazine. I buy quilting magazines like I buy video games...I'll only buy it if there's something in it that catches my interest.

Marybeth 07-19-2007 08:20 AM

thanks for all the great ideas :-)

I live 60 miles from the nearest city to have a large bookstore like Borders.

Last night, I bought a Fons and Porters and a Quilt mag, also a Mc Calls that is a special issue of scrap quilts. I really like patchwork and scrap quilts so far.

thanks for the tip on Better Homes and Gardens, incorrect directions would really be bad as I am not experienced enough to see that and figure out what is wrong or what to do.

Marybeth

DebJ 07-19-2007 11:37 AM

I am fortunate I subscribe to Quilt World, my sister subscribed for me as a Birthday present to Fons and Porter Love of Quilting and then I have a friend who gives me her subscription to American Patchwork & Quilting because her mother subscribes for it for her and she can't stand sewing of any kind (I just don't understand that do you!).

3incollege 07-19-2007 01:46 PM

I like Quilters Home for a great read - met the guy and he's a nut - very popular - Mark was a producer for Ophra and the Veiw before he became a quilter. But my vote would have to be , Fons and Porter, if you could only get one. Donna

bobbie 07-19-2007 03:53 PM

I just got a Fons & Porters, and loved it, but I loved SOMETHING in almost every mag I pick up. I'm not an artsy type, am into the more traditional quilting patterns, and the "A" word is not even something I want to try. I tried it once, many years ago, and did not like it then. Bobbie