Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   great buy at thrift store??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/great-buy-thrift-store-t214181.html)

GrannieAnnie 02-20-2013 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by karenpatrick (Post 5874902)
I would have bought it. There is no way I could have left it there. I would have found a use for it or gifted it to someone. I see denim rag quilts in my head.

That would be my vision, too!

GrannieAnnie 02-20-2013 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by chips88 (Post 5874702)
just the other weekend . went to the flea market. looked around awhile. and didnt see anything . so i was walking back to the truck. my eye caught a bin of fabric . so i walked on over and started looking threw it and seen some usable fabric. there was three huge bins of fabric. brimmining over.. the man came over and said 10 dollars for all. but wants to keep the bins.. that fabric came home with me.i went threw it and i tell you i have lots to go threw still. that was last weekend..when i got it. so story goes any fabric will sew or quilt something.:thumbup:

WTG! I love looking----------then using. But of course, I've got more than enough here to use.

Mitch's mom 02-20-2013 04:22 PM

I'm sorry! I left it because I didn't think anyone would want to pay for the shipping. If someone wants it I will stop by tomorrow and get it. It is probably still there since it is such a big horkin' roll of denim.

grannygee56 02-20-2013 04:39 PM

With the rag quilts, you need fabric that will fray. I have used various fabrics and most of them frayed. I bought 18 or 19 pairs of jeans at a thrift store for rag quilts for my great-grandkids. They worked up great. Every other square was bright printed fabric. The kids loved them. One pair of jeans was my size, so I got a bonus.

GrannieAnnie 02-20-2013 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by grannygee56 (Post 5876302)
With the rag quilts, you need fabric that will fray. I have used various fabrics and most of them frayed. I bought 18 or 19 pairs of jeans at a thrift store for rag quilts for my great-grandkids. They worked up great. Every other square was bright printed fabric. The kids loved them. One pair of jeans was my size, so I got a bonus.

Outside of knits of all sorts, most fabrics will fray---------at least all wovens.

GrannieAnnie 02-20-2013 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom (Post 5876264)
I'm sorry! I left it because I didn't think anyone would want to pay for the shipping. If someone wants it I will stop by tomorrow and get it. It is probably still there since it is such a big horkin' roll of denim.

I'd love it, but I won't pay for postage. Denim is way to heavy

running1 02-21-2013 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 5874790)
what is a sheperd's coat mentioned in first thread??????

I'm piecing a quilt with a shepherd and sheep... It's from an Art-to-Heart book by Nancy Halvorsen. The Star of Wonder book. The quilt is a lap size... has a shepherd on the left side and 7 sheep with 1 heading the opposite direction of the others... a reflection of how the shepherd leaves the 99 sheep to look for the 1...