Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   great buy at thrift store??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/great-buy-thrift-store-t214181.html)

running1 02-18-2013 02:57 PM

great buy at thrift store???

Hi all... I'm making a denim rag quilt for niece's fund raiser... used DH's old woven shirts, but ran short, so went to local thrift store and found several beautiful 100% cotton shirts to use. ALSO found a lovely woven Rayon/Acrylic fabric (a ladies suit)... it said "dry clean only", but I washed and dried it with no ill effects... I know I shouldn't use it with cottons (I think), but could it be used in a rag quilt? in a Christmas throw that wouldn't see much use? It would make a great shepherd's coat...

So, my question is... can I/should I use this material????

irishrose 02-18-2013 03:32 PM

You can use anything your heart desires. Rayon takes colors so well, I'm planning a throw with simple squares from my old skirts. I'd also like it in the windows of a mock Cathedral Windows quilt.

mighty 02-18-2013 03:49 PM

Yes, I say go ahead and use it!

barri1 02-18-2013 04:22 PM

I do very well with buying shirts at thrift stores. There is nothing like putting Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren, and Tommy Hilfiger shirts in a quilt.. At $2.50- $3.00 the quality is great..

sticks1942 02-18-2013 04:38 PM

I buy all kinds of material at the different thrift stores, I use in quilts but also to try out patterns to see how they look. It's easier to let go of $3.00 instead of $11.00.sew for sanity

Mitch's mom 02-18-2013 06:53 PM

I was at my favorite thrift store today. There is a roll of 3 or 4 yards of heavy weight lighter blue denim for 6.00. I have no use for denim so I left it there.

running1 02-19-2013 06:21 AM

Thanks everyone!! Sometimes it is just nice to get a little confirmation!! Barri1, there is definitely a difference between the higher end shirts and the others... they are woven cleanly... so easy to cut up :-D

I thought I was substituting today, but just found out I'm not... headed straight to the sewing machine!!!

barri1 02-19-2013 10:49 AM

The thrift store I go to is a for profit place. They buy there stuff from places that we donate to. They also have stuff that stores donate.. The Brooks Brothers shirt was new.. I also bought flannel sheets that were high end, and new.. I have to get there early on their sale days, or everything is gone.. People buy stuff to send to their countries..

GrannieAnnie 02-19-2013 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by running1 (Post 5870968)
Hi all... I'm making a denim rag quilt for niece's fund raiser... used DH's old woven shirts, but ran short, so went to local thrift store and found several beautiful 100% cotton shirts to use. ALSO found a lovely woven Rayon/Acrylic fabric (a ladies suit)... it said "dry clean only", but I washed and dried it with no ill effects... I know I shouldn't use it with cottons (I think), but could it be used in a rag quilt? in a Christmas throw that wouldn't see much use? It would make a great shepherd's coat...

So, my question is... can I/should I use this material????

You're doing the work and the designing-------------use it if you think it's okay to wash.

I"ve used rayon more than once with cotton or poly cotton.

GrannieAnnie 02-19-2013 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom (Post 5871465)
I was at my favorite thrift store today. There is a roll of 3 or 4 yards of heavy weight lighter blue denim for 6.00. I have no use for denim so I left it there.

but, but, but.................oh, my heart hurts!