Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand quilting threads (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-threads-t105356.html)

Maia B 03-06-2011 06:00 AM

Superior Threads has a hand quilting line called Treasures. Haven't tried it, but their other threads are great, so... In the past, I used C &C hand quilting thread and one by DMC, dunno if they still make that, but it's great.

LoriEl 03-06-2011 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by QazyQltr

Originally Posted by 117becca
absolutely LOVE the YLI hand quilting thread. It is a glazed cotton thread that goes thru the eye of the needle first time and doesn't fray!! It also doesn't knot up when quilting :)

I do find it difficult to buy locally, so i ordered some online and it was here in about 3 days.

Coats & Clarks was ok, til i tried the YLI. Hate a polyester quilting thread and C&C can be poly - so be aware

What does YLI stand for??? Thanks:-)

YLI is the brand. Probably stands for something but I don't know what it is.

117becca 03-06-2011 07:33 AM

I don't know what it stands for either...It is the brand name. When I ordered it - i googled "purchase YLI thread" or something like that. I got it from Rushbrooke or something like that. Definitely will order from them agoin - I hope i can find her card :)

The shipping cost from this woman was minimal and appropriate...unlike where i get my checks - $16 for shipping AND handling :thumbdown:

The cost for 2 large spools (1200 yds each) was 7.95 for each spool and less than $3 for the shipping. A smaller spool I think is $4...

aorlflood 03-06-2011 07:39 AM

I use Coats & Clark 100% cotton hand quilting thread for the most part, but will buy whatever brand will match the color I'm looking for.

I did try YLI one time and it kept knotting on me. I would look on the backside of the quilt and there would be little knots under there, too. :( Hated that thread. Unfortunately, I had too much done to turn back when I finally got so frustrated with it. :(

jmabby 03-06-2011 07:41 AM

Thank you for asking what YLI was for, I was wondering the same thing

Jan in VA 03-06-2011 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Renee110
I use Sulky 12 wt. I love it! It seems to be the closest to the thread my grandmother used.

This Sulky 12 wt. cotton is what I use sometimes for big stitch quilting.......along with crochet 10 wt. and perle cotton 8.

For regular 8-12-stitches-to-the-inch I use YLI, Mettler 40 wt. (I wax it), or other thread marked 'for hand quilting'.

Jan in VA

quiltin chris 03-06-2011 09:56 AM

I really like the Americana Thread sold at Joann's Fabrics.
It's cheap and already glazed so you don't have to run it over beeswax.

I just wish I could buy it from their online store.
I have found it in the store only so far.

Chris

QultingaddictUK 03-06-2011 04:43 PM

It's obviously me then as I have a Gutermann thread for hand quilting, I just find it so think and doesn't show very much.

Thank you for your replies :-)

QultingaddictUK 03-06-2011 04:43 PM

It's obviously me then as I have a Gutermann thread for hand quilting, I just find it so think and doesn't show very much.

Thank you for your replies :-)

gmcsewer 03-07-2011 06:22 AM

I did a Thimbleberry quilt and used pearl cotton, lighter weight I think #8. It shows up nicely and I used 1/4 inch stitches 1/4 inch from the seams. I have also found that Coats and Clark hand quilting thread does not knot up as easily as guetermann. Also you can wipe your thread with a dryer sheet and it will not knot as much.