Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   hand stippeling...anyone (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-stippeling-anyone-t200299.html)

lynnie 09-12-2012 11:28 AM

hand stippeling...anyone

I am a hand quilter. I just made a throw for a cousin.
Im planning on hq it and doing some flowers.
has anyone ever hand quilted a meandering sripple.
How does it look and do you reccomend it or should i just qitd.
Thankyou ao much

LisaGibbs 09-12-2012 11:59 AM

I wish I could help you but I am a machine quilter. I don't see why you couldn't do the meandering by hand. Maybe do a sample and see if you like it before doing it to your quilt.

QuiltE 09-12-2012 12:00 PM

I have a small quilt that someone else did that I'd consider hand quilting .. it's phenomenal!

teddysmom 09-12-2012 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 5509463)
I am a hand quilter. I just made a throw for a cousin.
Im planning on hq it and doing some flowers.
has anyone ever hand quilted a meandering sripple.
How does it look and do you reccomend it or should i just qitd.

Thankyou ao much

I'm a newbie and also hand quilt but what is stippeling?

lynnie 09-12-2012 12:14 PM

Its a line design...picture a trail of a butterfly or bee.
Also bing quilting stipple.
hope that helps you some.

kiffie2413 09-12-2012 12:29 PM

I have done quite a bit of my quilting by hand...I have used stencils, and lightly drawn like an s shape meander with a purple pen, then do my quilting stitch along it...spray with water after and the pen disappears...I also will trace off shapes that might work with the quilt design, like a star, or animal shape...I do it the same way...I only learned about machine quilting 3 yrs ago, and I wish I could get fmq down, but I am just not good at it...probably practicing more would help...lol..
Kif

Jan in VA 09-12-2012 01:49 PM

Yes, I have seen lovely hand stippling. To me, if I'm going to the trouble of handquilting an item, I sure want those stitches to show, I never stitch in the ditch! Practice doodling it first to get the muscle memory and you'll do fine even without a stencil. Though you can find stencils for meanderings...The Stencil Company has them.

Jan in VA

teddysmom 09-12-2012 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5509745)
Yes, I have seen lovely hand stippling. To me, if I'm going to the trouble of handquilting an item, I sure want those stitches to show, I never stitch in the ditch! Practice doodling it first to get the muscle memory and you'll do fine even without a stencil. Though you can find stencils for meanderings...The Stencil Company has them.

Jan in VA

I hand quilt but never SID. I stitch "in the shadow" so my stitches show.

patchsamkim 09-12-2012 03:04 PM

I did one quilt with a meandering stitch by hand...I used pearl cotton and the bigger stitches instead of trying to do finer hand quilting. It looks great and went much faster than regular quilting would have.

Borntohandquilt 09-12-2012 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have done some hand stippling on some of my quilts to enhance the patterns. I did not use a meander line (don't like it so much) but straight lines. You can also do it in small squares, random, echo, herringbone...there are different possibilities with different looks.