Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone tried Quilt Theory Quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-tried-quilt-theory-quilting-t28801.html)

MaryAnna 11-15-2009 06:40 PM

I purchased a book & DVd set from Nancy's Notions on Quilt Theory by Betty Cotton. It sounds interesting. You make and quilt each block before joining it to other blocks, then assembly rows, etc... You can make a bed sized quilt without the need of a longarmer as all rows remain on your left. Has anyone tried this new procedure yet? Can you adjust this system for any quilt?
Thanks!
Kindest Regards,
MaryAnna

3incollege 11-15-2009 07:24 PM

I saw Betty at a quilt show and bought a pattern for a table runner.
I can't seem to figure it out. That was a few years ago I forgot about it. Maybe I'll find it and look at it again.

amma 11-15-2009 07:44 PM

There has been some talk about some of the "quilt as you go" patterns making the quilts a little stiffer, due to the way that each section is joined. I would suggest trying a smaller lap quilt and see if you are happy with it :wink: :D

quilterella 11-16-2009 02:28 AM

I tried it a couple of years ago, bought both books, because someone told me it was fun and EASY. Well, it wasn't all that much fun and it sure wasn't that easy. However, the finished tablerunner is very pretty and extremely sturdy, so...I guess, anyone who tries this method will form their own opinion...Good Luck!

Newby0709 11-16-2009 03:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I made Attic Windows. It takes a lot of cutting and labeling the stacks. Here are my results, front and back.

MaryAnna 11-16-2009 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Newby0709
I made Attic Windows. It takes a lot of cutting and labeling the stacks. Here are my results, front and back.

Wow! That is gorgeous! You did a great job!
Thanks for the pics!
Kindest Regards,
MaryAnna

MaryAnna 11-16-2009 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by quilterella
I tried it a couple of years ago, bought both books, because someone told me it was fun and EASY. Well, it wasn't all that much fun and it sure wasn't that easy. However, the finished tablerunner is very pretty and extremely sturdy, so...I guess, anyone who tries this method will form their own opinion...Good Luck!

Yes, I'd have to agree with you....after viewing the dvd last night, I've come to the conclusion that it really doesn't appear all that 'easy'.
Thanks!
Kindest Regards,
MaryAnna

DA Mayer 11-16-2009 04:34 AM

what an awesome quilt, do you think if you did more than one or two and really felt comfortable with the method than it would be fun and easy?

MaryAnna 11-16-2009 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by amma
There has been some talk about some of the "quilt as you go" patterns making the quilts a little stiffer, due to the way that each section is joined. I would suggest trying a smaller lap quilt and see if you are happy with it :wink: :D

I think you are right about the quilts being stiffer; however I don't think it's because of the joining, but the over-quilting. After viewing the dvd last night, the 'theme' seemed that since you can quilt each block individually, you can use the embroidery feature of your machine to quilt with intricate patterns. It seemed over-quilted to me, and she quilted the joining strips. Her quilts are beautiful though.
I'll take your advice and try a smaller version.
Thanks!
Kindest Regards,
MaryAnna

BellaBoo 11-16-2009 06:01 AM

Nice quilt Newby! I think the Fun and Done method is about the same as this. The how to video is free online at Bayside Quilting.