Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you purchased a machine on ebay.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-purchased-machine-ebay-t286784.html)

cenpaqltr 03-13-2017 12:35 PM

Have you purchased a machine on ebay....

I was curious have any of you purchased a machine on ebay and how was the experience. There is one that I am keeping an eye on, and am just a bit apprehensive. Seems like a lot of money entrusted to a total stranger....Maybe I am too cautious. But I appreciate hearing of your experiences.

Thanks!

Pudge 03-13-2017 12:54 PM

I paid $500 to purchase a vintage Pfaff 1470. Good thing I used Paypal because the machine was broken and the vendor, who became vicious, would not refund money amicably and I had to file a case to get my money back. Happily, I did. Never went through ebay again. If I want a machine I go through my local dealer.

JustAbitCrazy 03-13-2017 01:14 PM

I had two bad sewing machine purchases on ebay, one good one.

cashs_mom 03-13-2017 02:04 PM

My husband has purchased 3 machines for me. There were some minor problems with one, but the seller agreed to a partial refund. Be sure to check the sellers feedback before you bid. I've been buying and in the past I did some selling on eBay for over 20 years with good experiences overall. My husband has bought and sold extensively on eBay and I think there was really only one problem.

QuiltingHaven 03-13-2017 02:36 PM

I have purchased 4 sewing machines (2 featherweights, plus) on ebay and had very good luck. However, this was at least 6-7 years ago when I first retired and started quilting. All were just as described and there were no problems with any of them.

suern3 03-13-2017 02:58 PM

I bought a feather weight on ebay several years ago and it was even better than I expected. It was so well packed, it was amazing to me. Be sure to read the seller's feedback. Previous to that I had been buying other items regularly on ebay without any problems. If you do happen to have a problem, ebay will help you get it straightened out. As will paypal or your own credit card most likely.

KwiltyKahy 03-13-2017 03:29 PM

I have been very lucky. I have bought 4 machines on ebay and every one has been just great. I would suggest you check the seller's rating and go through PayPal.

Jennifer23 03-13-2017 03:29 PM

I've never purchased a sewing machine on eBay, but I would be very cautious because the potential for shipping damage is really high, especially with older (heavier) machines. If the seller has good feedback and has other sewing machines in their selling history, you're probably ok. Shipping and handling costs should be high, because of the careful packing needed.

cashs_mom 03-13-2017 03:46 PM

Oh, yes, I should add that the machines were well packed. The featherweight shifted a bit and damaged the case, but the machine was fine. It's a really beautiful machine that looks like it's had very little use. I'm almost afraid to use it. Al most.

quiltsRfun 03-13-2017 03:49 PM

I bought two sewing machines on eBay with no problems. DH bought me a machine that ended up needing servicing. The the seller refunded part of our purchase price. My advice, do your homework and deal with highly rated sellers. Check the details of the listing and pictures closely. Ask questions and if the seller doesn't answer to your satisfaction, move on.