Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you purchased a machine on ebay....

Have you purchased a machine on ebay....

I was curious have any of you purchased a machine on ebay and how was the experience. There is one that I am keeping an eye on, and am just a bit apprehensive. Seems like a lot of money entrusted to a total stranger....Maybe I am too cautious. But I appreciate hearing of your experiences.

Thanks!

I paid $500 to purchase a vintage Pfaff 1470. Good thing I used Paypal because the machine was broken and the vendor, who became vicious, would not refund money amicably and I had to file a case to get my money back. Happily, I did. Never went through ebay again. If I want a machine I go through my local dealer.

I had two bad sewing machine purchases on ebay, one good one.

My husband has purchased 3 machines for me. There were some minor problems with one, but the seller agreed to a partial refund. Be sure to check the sellers feedback before you bid. I've been buying and in the past I did some selling on eBay for over 20 years with good experiences overall. My husband has bought and sold extensively on eBay and I think there was really only one problem.
    Patrice S

I have purchased 4 sewing machines (2 featherweights, plus) on ebay and had very good luck. However, this was at least 6-7 years ago when I first retired and started quilting. All were just as described and there were no problems with any of them.
    Busy in Ohio

I bought a feather weight on ebay several years ago and it was even better than I expected. It was so well packed, it was amazing to me. Be sure to read the seller's feedback. Previous to that I had been buying other items regularly on ebay without any problems. If you do happen to have a problem, ebay will help you get it straightened out. As will paypal or your own credit card most likely.

I have been very lucky. I have bought 4 machines on ebay and every one has been just great. I would suggest you check the seller's rating and go through PayPal.

I've never purchased a sewing machine on eBay, but I would be very cautious because the potential for shipping damage is really high, especially with older (heavier) machines. If the seller has good feedback and has other sewing machines in their selling history, you're probably ok. Shipping and handling costs should be high, because of the careful packing needed.

Oh, yes, I should add that the machines were well packed. The featherweight shifted a bit and damaged the case, but the machine was fine. It's a really beautiful machine that looks like it's had very little use. I'm almost afraid to use it. Al most.
    Patrice S

Blog Entries
    I bought two sewing machines on eBay with no problems. DH bought me a machine that ended up needing servicing. The the seller refunded part of our purchase price. My advice, do your homework and deal with highly rated sellers. Check the details of the listing and pictures closely. Ask questions and if the seller doesn't answer to your satisfaction, move on.
    Last edited by quiltsRfun; 03-13-2017 at 03:51 PM.

I've bought four machines on ebay. One came with no packing whatsoever and was badly damaged in shipping. I always request double boxing when buying a machine. I even offer to pay more for packaging so the machine will be protected. The last machine I bought was my featherweight, it was priced right and the seller packed it really well.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishgalfromNJ View Post
    I've bought four machines on ebay. One came with no packing whatsoever and was badly damaged in shipping. I always request double boxing when buying a machine. I even offer to pay more for packaging so the machine will be protected. The last machine I bought was my featherweight, it was priced right and the seller packed it really well.
    Seems to me it is luck of the draw...they might have good feedback but make sure it is for the same type of items. I think the shipping process can take its toll on sewing machines. But last time I checked I believe Ebay makes it right if it is damaged.

If you are buying a new machine, be aware, that often, the local dealers only warranty those machines that they sell. I would ask the question....Where will I get warranty work done if it is needed? If they say your local dealer will do the warranty work, call the dealer and verify the info. Sometimes, the local dealer will match the price that you would get on the Internet.

I go to the Houston quilt show and they have pretty good prices on new machines. Before I went, I asked my local dealer if he would do the warranty work. They said yes, and told me that they would match the price that I could get it at the show. That's quite a good deal. That way I had a local place to ask questions.
    Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 03-13-2017 at 06:20 PM.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

My last 2 machines have been from ebay. One was purchased about 8 years ago. Very well packaged, and even came with a surprise of chocolate candy tucked in! I used the machine till I purchased my newest in January. It wasn't as well packaged, but arrived in excellent cond. I got good deals on both. Like others have said, do your research on the seller,use paypal, ask ?'s before purchase.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    I paid $500 to purchase a vintage Pfaff 1470. Good thing I used Paypal because the machine was broken and the vendor, who became vicious, would not refund money amicably and I had to file a case to get my money back. Happily, I did. Never went through ebay again. If I want a machine I go through my local dealer.
    I wonder we had the same seller (or perhaps the same seller as IrishgalNJ). After the whole fiasco was over, I wondered whether she sent it broken to get the insurance money. I too used Paypal and my money was refunded with no issue from Paypal. With that said, I tried a second time and from another seller and was happy with my machine.

Blog Entries
    I have purchased two Berninas on ebay. Both had been school models and were purchased without the regular extras, like foot pedals. They were packed fairly well, but neither of them lasted very long. They were from different sellers but both had been from Florida. You have to worry about flooding and water damage. I would not do it again.

Blog Entries
    I purchased my first FW on ebay a number of years ago. I did use PayPal , but my machine arrived well packed and with no problems. I use this bay all the time. There was no problem and I tracked it all the way. I don't often order anything over the internet, but this was a successful purchase.

Blog Entries
    I bought a featherweight, I was going thru the phase that I thought I had to have one. It was shipped from overseas, it was in great condition, case and machine. Does it work, I have no idea, It was made in Scottland and I know that I can get a converter to plug it in but just never have. I don't want to change out the electrical part because this machine is in such great shape and I don't want to change it. The other purchase was a Viking #1 emb machine. It was supposed to have all accessories that was with machine originally, it wasn't but after sending the seller a list, he shipped me them, then I had problems with the stitching and he was one of the few that offered a 2yr guarantee, he paid for me to take the machine to UPS and box it up and I sent it back to him. In the meantime I came across a great top of the line (then) Viking and bought it. When I got the other machine back from being serviced, I never opened the box. I'm in the process of getting things ready to sell, I'm not downsizing but I am getting rid of a whole bunch of stuff that I just don't need. This will go on the to sell list. Both of the sellers that I used, had first of all great comments from others on ebay, the 2nd one even offered a guarantee, which speaks volumns about him and his honesty and like I said, he sent me the missing parts, then the stitch plate had been damaged, I'm assuming from a bent needle, I emailed him about it because it kept breaking the thread when trying to sew, he mailed me back a new plate the same week. For me, because I did check them out, I had a great experience from both of them.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Purchased three different times thru e-bay (all vintage machines). All three were as described and arrived in good condition. MANY people complain the sellers did not know how/did not pack them correctly which resulted in junked broken machines on arrival. I was fortunate. Worst packing on one was my Featherweight. However, he had marked the box "fine china" in large letters, arrows pointed to keeping box upright. Did get it in great condition. Good luck!
    Mavis

I have had 2 bad experiences with getting machines damaged in shipping. Both times the sellers stood behind the sale and refunded me the money right away. If a machine is one of the new modern, computerized machines I would suggest you insist on the original boxes. This is huge in helping with the machine not shifting during transport.

Blog Entries
    I purchased a felting machine for less than half price and I was very happy with it.
    My understanding is if you pay with PayPal you can return/reject any purchase if you're not happy.
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

I purchased a used HQ16 longarm system on ebay! I didn't have a choice, living in an area where finding a used longarm is less likely than finding a diamond on the grass :-) I contacted the seller before bidding to check how she would take care of the shipping. I was happy with the answer. Also, she was a quilting studio owner who was just upgrading her system; living in a remote area, she had to use ebay to sell her machine. It`s the best purchase I made on ebay; the price was excellent, the shipping went well and I'm perfectly happy with the machine. It`s a risk worth taking if you take the time to check a bit the seller background and trust your instinct.

Blog Entries
    I bought a Featherweight and I love it!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

No, not machines I do make purchases from ebay; but not big ticket items I don't feel safe about that I only purchase machines from dealers.
    Vontina Collick

"If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward" -Dr. Martin L. King, Jr.

I've purchased three machines on eBay. The first two were Featherweights... no problems with those transactions. The third was a Bernina 1630. I was having trouble getting my 1630 repaired and just wanted one that worked while the other one was in the shop for months.

I always check the feedback score of the seller. This seller had lots of excellent feedback, but I didn't notice at the time that most of those feedbacks were for items that she purchased, not sold.

She was selling a stripped down 1630 that only included one foot and no hard case. That was fine with me since I already owned plenty of feet and had a hard case. The price with shipping was $361.47. It arrived professionally packaged. I wanted to have a maintenance done on it before using since I didn't know the last time it was done. The repairs that maintenance revealed cost me $575.00.

I could have returned it through eBay's guaranteed which would have included the shipping cost to me. Unfortunately, I would still have to pay about $200 for the maintenance and return shipping to the seller. I wasn't willing to spend $200 and end up with no machine at all. I had it fixed. That stripped down machine ended up costing me $936.47.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I notified the seller that I was going to leave negative feedback. I didn't hear anything from her for over a week. I left the negative feedback and heard nothing more for a month. She then contacted me and called me every bad name in the book. Apparently, she felt that she was the injured party. Shakes head...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast