Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you purchased a machine on ebay.... >

Have you purchased a machine on ebay....

Have you purchased a machine on ebay....

Old 03-16-2017, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

My first experience was a bad one. The seller tried to shaft me out of my $, but through Paypal, I got my $ back. It was for a Featherweight.
Second time, I bought a Singer 301A. Very well packed, no funky smells, seller great to deal with.
I've also had good success with buying from shopgoodwill.com. They packed a heavy vintage machine very well.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:05 AM

To give you a little more confidence, September 2016 I also purchased an Elna eXcellence 760 (like a Janome 8900) with extra sewing trolley and extender table coming from a Bernina dealer in California on eBay for $999.00. I could not believe it as these machines are a $3999.00 sewing machine. I asked a lot of questions before making that purchase and it is like a brand new machine. Sometimes you get really lucky. When you come across something on eBay that really, really grabs your interest, you just have to contact the seller with any and all questions.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:01 AM

I bought a machine on ebay and it was perfect. I had never purchased anything on ebay before and I was nervous sending off a $2,000 check for a sewing machine I hadn't seen. But it was packed perfectly and it was in perfect condition. Read comments about the seller and see what others have to say.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
I bought a featherweight, I was going thru the phase that I thought I had to have one. It was shipped from overseas, it was in great condition, case and machine. Does it work, I have no idea, It was made in Scottland and I know that I can get a converter to plug it in but just never have. I don't want to change out the electrical part because this machine is in such great shape and I don't want to change it. The other purchase was a Viking #1 emb machine. It was supposed to have all accessories that was with machine originally, it wasn't but after sending the seller a list, he shipped me them, then I had problems with the stitching and he was one of the few that offered a 2yr guarantee, he paid for me to take the machine to UPS and box it up and I sent it back to him. In the meantime I came across a great top of the line (then) Viking and bought it. When I got the other machine back from being serviced, I never opened the box. I'm in the process of getting things ready to sell, I'm not downsizing but I am getting rid of a whole bunch of stuff that I just don't need. This will go on the to sell list. Both of the sellers that I used, had first of all great comments from others on ebay, the 2nd one even offered a guarantee, which speaks volumns about him and his honesty and like I said, he sent me the missing parts, then the stitch plate had been damaged, I'm assuming from a bent needle, I emailed him about it because it kept breaking the thread when trying to sew, he mailed me back a new plate the same week. For me, because I did check them out, I had a great experience from both of them.
You sound so much like me with the Feather Weight! A phase where I thought I should have one and the one I found was made in my birth year! It was meant to be! Well, it is a beauty and sews fine but honestly, I just prefer my modern machines so it sits in the closet. I recently was able to move my sewing area to a larger space in the house so may display it at least. I paid top dollar for it and would probably never be able to sell it for anything near that now.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:48 AM

I had a nightmare experience with a swiss made model of a machine that starts with a "B" for sale on ebay. I purchased this well-known brand model which is only sold new at a Dealers shop in a buy-it-now auction. The machine came right away from clear across the U.S. ---- BUT with MISSING parts and accessories when I received it! Although I was patient and TRIED to work it out.... The owner CLAIMED he sent me everything but didn't and NEVER DID. I sent him photos showing missing items and the actual machine with a piece MISSING IN THE SIDE OF IT. I paid $1,500. for this pure shocking disaster. The machine works great less the missing items and looking like it's an orphan that fell off a train. NOT what was shown in the auction. I have YET to receive ALL THE PIECES from him. However, Ebay DID REFUND me my whole purchase price and the owner threatened to SUE ME for HIS blunder if he didn't get the machine back. Although he flat out refused to pay for RETURN shipment on the machine too which was also NOT listed. He was mad because Ebay backed me and refunded me the total cost too. All I wanted was.... THE MISSING PARTS SENT TO ME NOT A REFUND.... Too much to ask I suppose. Outside of purchasing sewing supplies, I'll NEVER purchase another used machine on Ebay again. Just don't ever know what you will actually GET sadly. Taught me a lesson!
Old 03-18-2017, 12:54 PM

Not ebay, but did buy a sweet 3/4 size Singer (green) on Craig's List. We met in a parking lot. No problem.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:45 AM

I've never bought anything on Craig's before tranum but know a few people who do. I'll have to check them out and see what is local to me.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:05 PM

Some people have had good experience & some haven't. Their experience won't necessarily be the same as yours. I would go to a dealer & look at their used machines or check out your local newspaper ads. I wouldn't suggest buying without trying.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:49 PM

E-bay will back you up if the machine is not as described. So any questions you have with the seller must go thru their e-mail so they have a record of everything being described. So be sure to ask them to describe the packing. (once I bought a heavy machine that was just placed in an oversized cardboard box, no packing, no newspaper, no peanuts, no nothing. Needless to say, it was broken when it arrived). Check that they have a good record / feedback with lots of customers buying sewing machines. I went to buy a heavy sewing machine,,,it all looked too good to be true, and then I noticed he never said in the description that it worked. I sent him an e-mail to confirm it worked (I HAD to have THAT in writing} and he never answered me. Boy that was close......you must be very careful. Good Luck!
Old 04-02-2017, 05:24 AM

Jane the quilter is right. There is a specific section in the item listing that you can use to ask the seller a question. The seller's answers become part of the record of the transaction. I use that feature a lot when buying off eBay.

rob