Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HELP! I tried ironing waxed paper to fabric so I could print. Paper won't iron on! what went wrong? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-tried-ironing-waxed-paper-fabric-so-i-could-print-paper-wont-iron-what-went-wrong-t598.html)

ButtercreamCakeArtist 02-14-2007 02:25 PM

OK! I have been wanting to try the method where you iron waxed paper to fabric, then print on the fabric....well, I can't get the paper to iron onto the fabric. I tried both sides of the waxed paper. I ironed and ironed for a while. The fabric is a stiff-like, muslin(SP?)-like cotton.
Help! :cry: Thanks!

Yvonne 02-14-2007 03:08 PM

Miranda,
Use freezer paper instead. Wax paper won't stick as you've found out. Iron the shiny side of the freezer paper to the cloth. Dull side toward the iron.

Have fun now!
:D

ButtercreamCakeArtist 02-14-2007 04:22 PM

:oops: Yep, I found that mistake! Thanks for the reply!!!!!!!!!!! I think I'm out of freezer paper, and I wanted to do this so bad TODAY! :roll:
I am such a goof ball!

GayKennedy 02-14-2007 04:27 PM

Miranda, you are not a goofball. I was going to do the same process and managed to bring home about 3 rolls of waxed paper. Each time I would get home and look at my instructions and think well shoot I bought the wrong stuff. Go right back and buy the same thing again!! LOL
Gay

Yvonne 02-14-2007 04:28 PM

Nothing ventured, nothing gained! It was worth a try. Who knew? It might have worked. I know what you mean about wanting to do it right now!!! It boils down to "How bad do I want to do it? Am I willing to go to the store?" Often my answer is a resounding "NO!"

I think you're mighty brave to be running fabric through the printer. I know many have done it (my sister included) but I'm chicken!

Have fun when you do get your freezer paper.

(Wax paper is good for melting pieces of crayone between! First grade teacher talking now!)

ButtercreamCakeArtist 02-15-2007 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by GayKennedy
Miranda, you are not a goofball. I was going to do the same process and managed to bring home about 3 rolls of waxed paper. Each time I would get home and look at my instructions and think well shoot I bought the wrong stuff. Go right back and buy the same thing again!! LOL
Gay

LOL!!! That sounds like something I would do, too! I just hope I didn't get wax on my iron. It doesn't "look" like it, but...I think I'll run it over a dryer sheet to clean it, I heard that works for cleaning an iron.

ButtercreamCakeArtist 02-15-2007 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Yvonne
Nothing ventured, nothing gained! It was worth a try. Who knew? It might have worked. I know what you mean about wanting to do it right now!!! It boils down to "How bad do I want to do it? Am I willing to go to the store?" Often my answer is a resounding "NO!"

I think you're mighty brave to be running fabric through the printer. I know many have done it (my sister included) but I'm chicken!

Have fun when you do get your freezer paper.

(Wax paper is good for melting pieces of crayone between! First grade teacher talking now!)

How bad I want to make something when I don't have the materials is usually where I have to get really creative. I live 8 miles from a 2-lane road! (no, we're not on a dirt road-LOL!) Then, the store is about 10 miles from there...that's Kroger. Wal-Mart is a different story. It takes about 45 minutes to get there and about 40 miles one-way. The roads are curvy around here!
To get to a craft store such as AC Moore or Michael's...well, we're talking about a 1.5 hour drive.

I've yet to try the POF. Maybe soon.

The crayon/wax paper idea is fun. I remember doing that when I was a kid. I think we gathered some fall leaves and put in there, too.

Norah 02-15-2007 06:24 AM

Wax paper ain't what it used to be. It used to actually have visible wax on it. My mom used it to roll out her tender pie dough and it absorbs water so bad, you have to pick the pieces off the crust. :shock: It used to be tough stuff. Freezer paper is the way to go now.

mimisharon 02-15-2007 08:03 AM

Morning Miranda,
Where are you from in WV? I grew up around Parkersburg a few ( :) ) years ago.

Sharon

susan s. 02-15-2007 08:36 AM

wax paper is supposed to clean an iron! :idea: :)